cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank approved via mail offer. Can I move available credit from another US bank card?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

US Bank approved via mail offer. Can I move available credit from another US bank card?

Hey guys, 

I just applied for a US bank plantinum that I had an offer for and was approved for 9k. 

I was wondering if I should use this opportunity to call their underwriting service dept to see if I can get a higher limit, or if it is possible to move over from my other US bank card that is not being used and has a 10k credit limit. 

Not sure if it is even possible to move available credit with US bank. 

Also, if I were to call for a recon for CLI, would it be possible that it could backfire and my 9k be reduced after the underwriter looks at it?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: US Bank approved via mail offer. Can I move available credit from another US bank card?

@Superduper2014 wrote:

Hey guys, 

I just applied for a US bank plantinum that I had an offer for and was approved for 9k. 

I was wondering if I should use this opportunity to call their underwriting service dept to see if I can get a higher limit, or if it is possible to move over from my other US bank card that is not being used and has a 10k credit limit. 

Not sure if it is even possible to move available credit with US bank. 

Also, if I were to call for a recon for CLI, would it be possible that it could backfire and my 9k be reduced after the underwriter looks at it?

Thanks

You could call US Bank UW for recon, Expect another HPSmiley Tongue

Doubt they would reduce it.

You cannot move limits between US Bank Cards.

Message 2 of 12
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Re: US Bank approved via mail offer. Can I move available credit from another US bank card?

OMG really? Another HP for looking at today's application? I might as well apply for another card if that is the case lol.. 

Message 3 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

OMG really? Another HP for looking at today's application? I might as well apply for another card if that is the case lol.. 

Yes, unfortunately that is how US Bank rolls.

Message 4 of 12
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Hi, 

I was reviewing my notes from August 2018 when I applied for my first US bank card.

They gave me a 1k limit and I called them and wrote this down:

"08/1/2018

Called and requested a CLI with rep. She will put the request and have an underwriter look at it for 10k that I requested."

I called them because of the following advise:

"Call U.S. Bank Credit Card Underwriting Services at (800) 947-1444.  Its an automated line, but there's a menu option to speak to a representative.  Explain to the representative that you'd like reconsideration of an earlier decision.  The rep doesn't do the underwriting, but they will put your app back into the queue for an underwriter to review and you hear from them in about 2-3 days"

I do not have a second HP from them on my credit report from the underwriter reviewing it. Only the one HP from the original application in transunion and they were able to increased my limit from 1k to 10k. 

Has this changed for US bank lately considering this was almost 2 yrs ago? Just curious, not doubting your knowledge. 

Message 5 of 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Not sure if it's now a rule, but I also experienced the same. I got my 2 USB cards around Feb 2018. At the time, I reconned not only the applications, but also the SLs I was given. I didn't get a second pull for either CLI request. I also didn't get approved for the CLIs but that's besides the point. I barely got in on recon on both apps, so understandably, they didn't want to give me more than the SLs assigned.

Anyway, fast forward to April 2020. I applied for another USB card and got a small SL of $3k. A few minutes after getting approved, I called the UW dept to request a higher limit. I talked to an underwriter, and she said they'd have to do another HP. I remember saying, "but I JUST applied and you JUST pulled my report..." She sort of felt my pain, but told me those were the rules. I still went ahead with the HP request. She asked how much I wanted. I said, IDK... $30k. She put in the request, and few days later, I was approved for the full amount. So, the additional HP ended up being well worth the 10x CLI.

Here's something else to keep in mind. If you decide to go for it, make sure to let them know that you'll take a counteroffer if your requested amount is too high. I've also been told by other underwriters that it's all or nothing, unless they add in notes to your request that you're willing to take a lower amount if that's what you qualify for.

Message 6 of 12
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Excellent data point and advise. 

I will call them and take the hit and make sure I request they put in the notes regarding accepting lower amount if that is what I qualify for. 

I am calling now and will report back later. 

Message 7 of 12
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

by any chance do you have that number handy? I will dig it up, but if you do, I'd appreciate it. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Dec 2019, I got a measly $1,500 for my US Bank Cash+. I called to recon, they wanted another HP so I just let it go. 

Message 9 of 12
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

by any chance do you have that number handy? I will dig it up, but if you do, I'd appreciate it. 

I'm pretty sure I used this number: 800-947-1444

They're probably gone for the day, though. Give it a shot

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.