Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank or NFCU Secured Card?

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

US Bank or NFCU Secured Card?

So, I'm helping a relative repair and rebuild credit. This is going to be an arduous task. They have 2 positive installments reported $0 bal on TU and EQ, and one reported on EX. Of major concern, they have 2 adverse entries: one delinquent child support on EQ (Closed 2019 with. $0 bal), and an unpaid $6K charged-off auto loan (Open, still reporting monthly, not within the SOL, scheduled for deletion Oct 2022).

I was able to get some useful info from:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Datapoints-Thread-for-Members... 

They stated they have no interest in paying off their delinquent auto loan. Which of the two lenders is the best option for a secured CC between USB and NFCU? Which, if any, of these two lenders is more likely to bucket an orginally secured CC account once graduated given the above? Thanks in advance for any/all feedback!

>>They have 2-year relationship with NFCU - Checking, Savings, Paycheck Direct Deposit

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: US Bank or NFCU Secured Card?

go with NFCU. US Bank is a known very conservative bank.

Message 2 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Navy 6 days a week, twice on SundaysSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Thanks @gdale6 and @AverageJoesCredit. Your info was useful as I do not have a personal experience with either of the two lenders. Before I give them this information, I am encouraging a serious budget be in place first.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

Por que no los dos?

As for USBank, while they pull the bejeesus out of you for thinking about them, my $500 secured card is now a 10k limit Cash+, so I'm fairly certain they don't bucket.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 7
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

No contest!  Navy.  Had USBank and will take at Least 18 months and will require a hard pull to graduate.  Growth has been non existent.  Graduated at the same 300-dollar limit as the security deposit.

I haven't graduated from Navy yet but they offer rewards and no hard pull to graduate it.  I've also been able to get 2 large limit unsecured cards in the 6 months since I opened the nRewards.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 6 of 7
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@designated_knitter: Thanks! I am going to recommend NFCU based on the feedback in this thread. I was checking out your siggy, "Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty." They will definitely not be apping for Cap1 products for sure. I'm not a fan of theirs, so I wouldn't recommend Cap1. Three HPs to app for a secured CC. #Bit much

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.