cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank reporting current balance, not statement balance??

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

US Bank reporting current balance, not statement balance??

New to US Bank.  I can see that it's reporting my (non-zero) card balance, and not the (zero) statement balance. 

Is this typical?

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: US Bank reporting current balance, not statement balance??

US Bank typically reports on the last business day of the month, not on your statement cycle date unless it coincides with the latter.

Pro tip - to avoid these inconsistencies, have them change your due date to a timeframe that is close to the standard USB reporting timeframe.
Message 2 of 7
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Thanks.
Or, presumably, if it matters to you, pay the balance to zero (say) two business days before the last business day of the month.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Sure, that's definitely doable for anyone who wants to exercise AZEO methods, but it may shorten the float cycle.
Message 4 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

New to US Bank.  I can see that it's reporting my (non-zero) card balance, and not the (zero) statement balance. 

Is this typical?

I changed My Due Dates to the 23rd on one card and the 24th on the other.

then they report the balance on the last bus. day of the Month. can take a few days to hit all the bureaus.

So I usually PIF on the Due date.

Message 5 of 7
SBR249
Established Contributor

I would actually consider the fixed reporting date a plus if one is doing AZEO. It saves you from having to figure out which card will be the EO any particular month, you just have to make sure the USB card has a small balance at the end of the month and then pay everything to zero before statements cut. Way simpler. 

Message 6 of 7
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
US Bank typically reports on the last business day of the month, not on your statement cycle date unless it coincides with the latter.

Pro tip - to avoid these inconsistencies, have them change your due date to a timeframe that is close to the standard USB reporting timeframe.

This is exactly what I did since they report the balance as of the last day of the month.  Moved it from the 20th to the 28th.  

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.