Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US bank application

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US bank application

Hello guys, last year i applied for the us bank platinum cc .. i went through the app .. at the end it told me my apr i would get & credit limit .. with a button that pretty much said if i accepted the credit card or declined... i declined as i found the CL to b low for the scores i had at the time.. When i denied the card I thought they wouldn't pull a hard inquiry but they did , is this a good reason to dispute it to be removed or should i just leave it as is? only transunion pulled...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: US bank application

You applied for credit; your credit is pulled as a result. Whether you accept or decline the offer, you asked for credit. To me, the HP is completely legitimate.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Kdm, thread closed .
Message 3 of 9
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

In order to allow you to accept it, they had to “approve” you. Technically you applied, so I would think the HP is going to stick. Sorry about the annoyance! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lender pulled your credit before deciding the outcome. They had a 'legitimate business reason' to pull a hard inquiry. You can certainly dispute it but, I would doubt they would remove the HP. Dealt with USB for many years and they are conservative but fair.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think of it this way: there were two separate questions, "do you authorize a credit check?"  yes. then, "do you accept this account?"

In my mind it's an entirely positive thing how they handled that. The reason being is that they gave the option to accept or decline the account. With most other accounts you just apply and it is what it is. If you end up with a lower limit or bad terms then your only recourse is to close the account. It still shows up as a new account, reducing your average age of accounts, letting every other lender see a competitor account open/closed quickly. Don't think of it as the inquiry being bad, think of it as it being a good thing you don't have a closed new account.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

With most other accounts you just apply and it is what it is. If you end up with a lower limit or bad terms then your only recourse is to close the account. It still shows up as a new account, reducing your average age of accounts, letting every other lender see a competitor account open/closed quickly. Don't think of it as the inquiry being bad, think of it as it being a good thing you don't have a closed new account.

💯 this right here. I wish more companies were like that. 

Message 7 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello guys, last year i applied for the us bank platinum cc .. i went through the app .. at the end it told me my apr i would get & credit limit .. with a button that pretty much said if i accepted the credit card or declined... i declined as i found the CL to b low for the scores i had at the time.. When i denied the card I thought they wouldn't pull a hard inquiry but they did , is this a good reason to dispute it to be removed or should i just leave it as is? only transunion pulled...

Legitimate HP aside, why would you even think about disputing it a year later? 

If it's not unscorable now, it will be soon

Any HP dispute may  lead to fraud alert being placed by CRA as you would have to claim that you did not apply, meaning fraudulent application.  

Do yourself a favor and leave it alone unless you want to spend next year convincing CRAs there was no fraud after claiming there was, even if you did not  use those exact words. 

Message 8 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I missed the part where this was last year. Even more so now....OP for sure just let this one go. An inquiry from a year ago is neglible on your credit report.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.