Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA CC’s in the UK - Merchant Codes for Grocery/Dining

tag
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

USA CC’s in the UK - Merchant Codes for Grocery/Dining

Does anyone know if the merchant codes in the UK are similar to those in the US?Specifically around groceries and dining out.
For example;

The Chase Sapphire Preffered earns 3x UR on dining. It's seems logical to assume that this is applicable to any worldwide restaurant, right? I think Amex Gold with 4x would also work? 

Then there's groceries. The SavorOne 3% back on groceries does not appear locked to the US. But also the NFCU MoreRewards Amex (Amex acceptance in the UK appears quite high) is 3 pts on any grocery purchase, not US locked. 

Any other suggestions for grocery and dining purchases overseas? Definitely something to have in case Amex isn't accepted. 

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: USA CC’s in the UK - Merchant Codes for Grocery/Dining

@greatscott85 wrote:

Does anyone know if the merchant codes in the UK are similar to those in the US?Specifically around groceries and dining out.
For example;

The Chase Sapphire Preffered earns 3x UR on dining. It's seems logical to assume that this is applicable to any worldwide restaurant, right? I think Amex Gold with 4x would also work? 

Then there's groceries. The SavorOne 3% back on groceries does not appear locked to the US. But also the NFCU MoreRewards Amex (Amex acceptance in the UK appears quite high) is 3 pts on any grocery purchase, not US locked. 

Any other suggestions for grocery and dining purchases overseas? Definitely something to have in case Amex isn't accepted. 

Thanks! 

Yes, codes work much as you would expect, which unfortunately includes the usual surprises!   So on my most recent charges, nearly everything I would expect to be dining counts as dining, one exception being a place that coded as groceries (an Indian restaurant that also sells groceries).   Supermarkets also code as you expect.

For the UK in particular, the Altitude Reserve is of great use, mobile pay is available almost everywhere, including for dining.

Message 2 of 23
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Use the awardwallet app lookup tool

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 3 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

MCC codes are the same for the entire network, regardless of locale.  For Visa, 5814 is the correct code for KFC whether you're in New York, Bangalore, Sydney, or Montreal (although in the case of the latter, it would be PFK).  What you can't guard against is incorrect coding by a merchant processor (like at-pump gas/petrol being coded as convenience store) which can happen anywhere.

You are correct that the Amex network is pretty widely accepted in the U.K. I actually did the sub spending on mine a few years ago while in London.  Definitely add it to your mobile wallet as that is the most common way to pay for pretty much everything.  Tesco and others will almost certainly code correctly as grocery.

Message 4 of 23
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

Thank you very much for your thoughts! I am a bit relieved to hear this! The last time I traveled extensively, I wasn't really in the credit "game" as I am today.

@longtimelurker  Altitude Reserve is one of those been with US Bank for a while cards right? Definitely looks like a great card! Maybe I can start with the Connect however, we will be in the UK next July. Doubtful that I could upgrade that fast.

@K-in-Boston  I just found out yesterday that Apple Wallet only allows 12 cards Smiley Very Happy. I try to Apple Pay everywhere even here.

Message 5 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@greatscott85 wrote:

Thank you very much for your thoughts! I am a bit relieved to hear this! The last time I traveled extensively, I wasn't really in the credit "game" as I am today.

@longtimelurker  Altitude Reserve is one of those been with US Bank for a while cards right? Definitely looks like a great card! Maybe I can start with the Connect however, we will be in the UK next July. Doubtful that I could upgrade that fast.

You only need to be a customer for a week.  If you are in the footprint, opening a checking account is enough

Message 6 of 23
greatscott85
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker  I could pick it up! The Citi Premier seems to be a nice all-around Visa as well.

Message 7 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@greatscott85 wrote:

@longtimelurker  I could pick it up! The Citi Premier seems to be a nice all-around Visa as well.

Yes, it's just in the UK (in particular) you can pay almost everywhere with a mobile wallet, so with the Altitude Reserve this means getting a minimum of 3% (= 4.5% when used for travel redemptions) on everything.

Message 8 of 23
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

My main concern is the used exchange rate while using credit cards outside US. I assume that at the checkout, USD gets exchanged to GBP using the exchange rate in the UK which should be worse than purchasing GBP in the US. Therefore, it might be better to purchase GBP bank notes here and use cash while doing purchases in the UK but I might be wrong. Is there a recommendation to minimize penalty on exchange rate, while using CC outside?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 9 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

My main concern is the used exchange rate while using credit cards outside US. I assume that at the checkout, USD gets exchanged to GBP using the exchange rate in the UK which should be worse than purchasing GBP in the US. Therefore, it might be better to purchase GBP bank notes here and use cash while doing purchases in the UK but I might be wrong. Is there a recommendation to minimize penalty on exchange rate, while using CC outside?

So long as you avoid dynamic currency conversion (so you will be charged in GBP) the Visa/MC conversion rates are often better than you would get as an individual exchanging money.  And getting rewards makes it (IMO) much better than using cash,  quite apart from the additional safety

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.