cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

tag
silverzgirl
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA = 0; Navy Federal Credit Union = 1 (happy customer).

USAA did the same to me...had a few things on my list of offers, denied me a CC and offered me a secured card instead. Multiple times.

Now I am one that thinks these are a ripoff waste of money. I am not going to pay interest and fees to use my own money. To me it is a debit card that charges me to use it, and reports you for the expense. I had plenty of unsecured credit that reported and did not need them. Even the worst credit on the planet can probably qualify for the 300 C1 unsecured...I think it used to be Orchard.

Not pleased with NFCU as I am the only one they won't increase, though my ute is quite high. They last approved me when my ute was much higher, though, and my income was one third what it is today. That was pre 2008 crash though. However I would pick them over USAA any day.

Shopping for insurance (USAA is still comparable to everyone I looked at so far)  but may switch all other accounts (small savings/checking, IRA) but the minimum in savings to NFCU.

Starting FICO, June 2010: EX-581, EQ-581, TU-581
Now: EX-742 EQ-710 TU-709

Currently: NFCU Platinum Visa 18K, BECU Visa 15K, Navchek 15K, Vystar+ CU Platinum Visa 10000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles 9K, Military Star 8200, Nordstrom VS 7800, Macys 7600, Lowes 6K, Pier 1 6K, Mohawk Floor 4500, TJX Mastercard 4K, Pottery Barn 4K, Amazon 3600, Talbots 3000, Barclaycard 2400, Ann Taylor 2280, Ballard Design, 1500, Victorias Secret 750, NY&CO 500, J.Crew 300

Message 21 of 23
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I was denied for a CL increase on one of my CCs from USAA. I had never checked or known my own credit scores until I got the denial letter from USAA. My score was over 800 (EQ) at that time! On the same day, right after they denied me for the CL increase, I applied for NFCU's cashRewards card and was approved instantly with the lowest rate possible. By the way, I got the Visa Sig version.

Message 22 of 23
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I have had an excellent experience with NFCU...

and a not so excellent experience with USAA...

IMHO, NFCU is easier to work with, and they can usually give you what you need over the phone.  I have moved all of my banking over to them Smiley Very Happy Happily

+1

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.