Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Amex

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a USAA Amex if I already have the USAA Mastercard World?

I got the World card in Jan 2010. CL- $ 15,000, balance of $ 12,000.

Current total util. is 59%.

Fico- EQ- 735

TU- 734

Inquiries in last two years- 2

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
yakboyslim

Re: USAA Amex

I don't know if it is a hard and fast rule but they want to have a lot of history before they give a second card. I have a Platinum MC with them and I called asking about the AMEX and they said that while I might be able to get it I had too many recent inquiries (may not apply to you) and that I should wait until I have the MC for a year with them.

I think they want to use the one card to develop their own understanding of your credit habits before giving you a second card. 

My scores are a little lower than yours, with more inquiries and less util.

Starting Score: 710
Current Score: EX 732 EQ 720 TU 720
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a USAA Amex if I already have the USAA Mastercard World?

I got the World card in Jan 2010. CL- $ 15,000, balance of $ 12,000.

Current total util. is 59%.

Fico- EQ- 735

TU- 734

Inquiries in last two years- 2

Difficult to say what your chances are, but they may not like the UTIL.

One trick you can use is to ask for a CLI on your MC for which there will be no INQ.  If they grant an increase, then ask them about applying for an AmEx and splitting the CL off your just increased MC.  That often works.

Message 3 of 8
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Difficult to say what your chances are, but they may not like the UTIL.

From my experience, USAA does not like more than 50% utilization on any single account or total accounts.  I was told this by various representatives (when either applying for something or requesting a CLI) and almost didnt get approved for my auto loan because one of my accounts was greater than 50%.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for WMC and AMEX on the same day.  YMMV.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you to all of you for that info.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can request a Credit Limit Increase on the current card you already have after 180 days of either opening your account or your last increase, so I would think it's safe to use the same rule of thumb in applying for a second card or type of cc. Your payment history, account history and credit report will be used to determine your outcome for the CLI or the new application.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can request a Credit Limit Increase on the current card you already have after 180 days of either opening your account or your last increase, so I would think it's safe to use the same rule of thumb in applying for a second card or type of cc. Your payment history, account history and credit report will be used to determine your outcome for the CLI or the new application.

Under normal circumstances, they do not pull your credit report for limit increase requests.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.