cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CC - Would I be approved? (New Pre-Approved offer update)

tag
Grape
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA CC - Would I be approved?

Thanks for the response, HTSU. Yes, both inqs are on EQ. I will call USAA and ask their opinion as far as the 1 year mark goes. (I am curious, does an inq usually hit the 1-year mark...FICO score wise...on the exact 1 year date or does it usually reflect in the score on the following month?...I am thinking it is the 1-year exact date since the FICO is updated daily...I think...I dunno...lol)

They did offer the World MC in the pre-approval. Previously, when I would read the generic offering, it did note in the fine print that if you are not approved for a CL of $5K or higher, that you would get the platinum MC. Maybe the fact that I was pre-approved for the World MC (and nowhere in the fine print does it now mention the Platinum)...maybe that means I was at a level where the pre-approval marked me at $5k or above?

Good to know about USAA reporting the limit on the World MC...I am getting the impression, from what I have found, that USAA is one of the few companies that does report the limit on these cards. 

I will definitely let those two cards report a zero balance...so it will be at least 3 weeks before I apply anyway.

Anyone else have experience with these pre-approved offers or any USAA cc apps recently?

Message 11 of 27
Grape
Regular Contributor

Did find out, by looking online, that you can change the Rewards program (from Cash to Total Rewards or vice versa) on both the debit and credit cards at any time online. Good to know.

Message 12 of 27
Grape
Regular Contributor

Still have not applied for the card...waiting for a couple accounts to report a $0 balance and see if I can get my score to bump up a little. 

I did note, for those interested, that by being pre-approved for a CC (and having an insurance product), I can now use the Deposit at Home feature for my checking acct. Pretty cool that it only takes a pre-approval to activate this feature for full members, and not actually applying for a card. Do others think this may be a sign that the pre-approval offer may actually be a pretty firm one (e.g. fairly decent chance of approval)?

Also, the minimum variable APR offered to me was 13.9%, which is a good deal higher than their lowest tier of 7.79%...curious, if others have been approved recently for the USAA World MC, what has been your CL and interest rate?

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Grape wrote:

Still have not applied for the card...waiting for a couple accounts to report a $0 balance and see if I can get my score to bump up a little. 

I did note, for those interested, that by being pre-approved for a CC (and having an insurance product), I can now use the Deposit at Home feature for my checking acct. Pretty cool that it only takes a pre-approval to activate this feature for full members, and not actually applying for a card. Do others think this may be a sign that the pre-approval offer may actually be a pretty firm one (e.g. fairly decent chance of approval)?

Also, the minimum variable APR offered to me was 13.9%, which is a good deal higher than their lowest tier of 7.79%...curious, if others have been approved recently for the USAA World MC, what has been your CL and interest rate?

There detailed pre-approvals are a strong positive sign in your favor. I got one like your's for my USAA MC last year - scores in high 600s. I got approved with a $11K CL at 11.9% APR I think...now it is a 9.9% APR with a $19K CL.

I applied for the USAA Amex three weeks ago - scores in the 760s. I got a$10K CL and 10.9% APR.

Good luck! Keep us posted! ::fingers crossed:: 

Message 14 of 27
Grape
Regular Contributor

So, I decided to pull the trigger on my pre-approved app today....EQ 689, Util @53%....and....APPROVED....

$3K CL, so got the Platinum rewards card (was hoping for at least a $5K CL so I would get the World MasterCard)..

but still really stoked! It's nice, I think this was the first time I have ever apped for a card where I actually felt confident I would get approved, and was not assuming I would get a big fat declined! Thank you forumites for all your input along the way!!!

I figure now I have my foot in the door. I will treat the card VERY well, and hopefully see a CLI in 6-12 months. (Any USAA CC holders have any input on CLIs?) I will also be adding a car insurance policy in the next 60 days, so hopefully I will appear "better" in USAA's eyes down the road.

I also decided to app for the Amex card, since I knew it would not result in another hard inquiry (called rep first to confirm)...I was expecting this one to be denied, since I have a relatively short experience with USAA as far as having products in my own name (only have had a checking and renter's insurance for about 60 days)....and it was denied (the reason given was Maximum Credit Extended). When I apped the message I got was they were reviewing my app and I would know within a few hours as to the status. I am guessing they want to see how I handle 1 cc before extending any more credit....and this is probably not worth a recon...or is it? Thoughts?

Either way, really stoked about this...this was the one company I have wanted a CC with for a while now.

Message Edited by Grape on 09-18-2009 04:31 PM
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 16 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congrats, Grape!

I'd say that your best bet is to do what you said --use it and pay it --plus get that util down.

USAA is incredibly conservative, and I mean this as praise. They are not going to let you go out there, run up your card(s), and hang yourself. They are like parents who give you a little bit of rope and see how well you handle it. If you show that you're responsible, they'll give you a little more, and then a little more, and then a little more. This annoys the fire out of people who feel that they're being patronized, but I've always taken USAA's responses as affirmation that I'm doing something right.

If you handle your Plat well, and get your util down, I think you'll see that they're going to work with you.

FWIW, they generally (not always) hard on EQ, and soft on EX and EQ both --alternately for different products. So just keep both reports nice and tidy, and the auto insurance will probably help as well.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 27
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

@Grape wrote:

They did offer the World MC in the pre-approval. Previously, when I would read the generic offering, it did note in the fine print that if you are not approved for a CL of $5K or higher, that you would get the platinum MC.

Interesting. I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere before. That's the same rule that Schwab has that they disclose on their website for the Schwab Visa Signature.

@Grape wrote:

Good to know about USAA reporting the limit on the World MC...I am getting the impression, from what I have found, that USAA is one of the few companies that does report the limit on these cards. 

Despite the fact that this is a World Mastercard, during the twelve or so months that this USAA World MC has existed I have yet to see any information or evidence anywhere (either from customers or on USAA's website) to support the idea that the USAA World MC has a no preset spending limit.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 09-18-2009 08:47 PM
Message 18 of 27
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

FWIW, here's a reply that USAA had emailed me:

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail concerning the WorldCard information for your USAA credit card account. [...]

USAA reports all credit limits to the credit bureaus as this is part of each cardholders overall credit profile. If the information is not displayed with a specific bureau, you would need to contact that bureau to determine why.

All USAA credit cards have credit limits ranging from $2,000 to $35,000. We do not offer "no per-set limits".

We have forwarded your suggestion to our research department for review.

Thank you for your membership with USAA!

We value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
USAA
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 09-18-2009 08:51 PM
Message 19 of 27
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

MojaveMoon wrote:

@Grape wrote:

Despite the fact that this is a World Mastercard, during the twelve or so months that this USAA World MC has existed I have yet to see any information or evidence anywhere (either from customers or on USAA's website) to support the idea that the USAA World MC has a no preset spending limit.

That's a very good point! I got curious about this the other week, and called to try to clarify things.

The best that I could get was that USAA does not impose over-the-limit fees on World MC's, or at least, they would not do so on mine. So if that somehow translates into "having no preset limit", I guess that would work for me.

IMO, the World-ness of the USAA MC mainly refers to the consumer protections that come with the card, edging it into American Express territory, in terms of matching lower prices, extending consumer warranties, etc etc.

eta: mojavemoon, just saw your post. That's a very nice clarification.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-18-2009 08:55 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.