Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CC

tag
zoe15
Established Member

USAA CC

I've had a USAA MC with a 3K CL for a little over 6 months now, and I've been using it responsibly.  Last week was the first time I noticed something under "My Offers," a limited-time 0% APR offer on courtesy checks and balance transfers.  Today, there was a Pre-Approval for an auto loan.  I don't plan to take advantage of these offers, but I was wondering if this might indicate USAA might soon be willing to give me a CLI or approve an additional product.  Or, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Re: USAA CC

ive been with usaa for a short time. 

but i dont see why you cant get a CL.  but im sorry i do not know whether the CL is a soft or a hard pull, but i would say your utilization should be low before you ask for CLI.  but i thinkyou're ripe for something good to happen.  i'll wait for others to chime in

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 2 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I'd call and ask if a CLI request is a HP or SP, and then go for it if it's soft. Most banks and CUs have told me that 6-9 mos. is a good time frame to ask for a CLI.
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 10
zoe15
Established Member

Ok, great.  Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 10
OneStepFurther
Established Member

I've had their MC with same CL for about 9 mos but got/accepted the offer for a 1.9% APR.  I applied for the rate advantage thinking maybe I can get the same or better CL but they ended up only giving me $1000 CL.  I called afterwards and asked if I could get the same 1.9% offer but was told no, it's only offered to certain accounts.  He then suggested seeing if I could get approved for a CLI for the first acct., took my info, giggled and said they can give me a $1500 CLI for the first acct...so basically I got $2500.  lol 

Of course, I said okay. Smiley Happy

Because of my experience, I'm kinda inclined to say that if they extend the offer for the BT, then it may be a good indication that you'd be a good candidate for the CLI or additional card.  This was the first time I'd gotten any kind of offer beyond the investment/insurance kind of things. Good luck. 

Edited:  The offer was for the 1.9% APR balance transfer.

Message 5 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

6 months is about the time frame where they review files and determine if anyone gets a CLI or interest rate reduction. Got this from a USAA CSR. She said to use the card, pay in full and they'll automatically review my file in 6 months. Have had the card less than 6 months, though.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

I can confirm that after talking to USAA credit people, they told me 6 month is the min wait to be considered for a CLI. I spoke to two of them in the past 2 weeks.

Message 7 of 10
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@zoe15 wrote:

I've had a USAA MC with a 3K CL for a little over 6 months now, and I've been using it responsibly.  Last week was the first time I noticed something under "My Offers," a limited-time 0% APR offer on courtesy checks and balance transfers Today, there was a Pre-Approval for an auto loan.  I don't plan to take advantage of these offers, but I was wondering if this might indicate USAA might soon be willing to give me a CLI or approve an additional product.  Or, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part?

Message 8 of 10
zoe15
Established Member

@dalebb wrote:

@zoe15 wrote:

I've had a USAA MC with a 3K CL for a little over 6 months now, and I've been using it responsibly.  Last week was the first time I noticed something under "My Offers," a limited-time 0% APR offer on courtesy checks and balance transfers Today, there was a Pre-Approval for an auto loan.  I don't plan to take advantage of these offers, but I was wondering if this might indicate USAA might soon be willing to give me a CLI or approve an additional product.  Or, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part?

I meant an additional CC.  Sorry for the confusion.

Message 9 of 10
zoe15
Established Member

Thanks for your replies!  I'll request the CLI or an additional card soon.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.