Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA CLI and question

tag
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

USAA CLI and question

After starting at $2000 CL with the USAA Amex, I finally received the max allowed of 26k(have another USAA CC at 24k). Is the total max allowed 50k?  I'm also considering closing the other aforementioned CC because I don't use it. It gives me points but my Amex Gold or Chase are better.   I'll have to wait 6 months. I'm wondering is it possible  to cancel one card and request a CLI on the other at the same time?

Business Cards
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA CLI and question

The current max CL is $50K across all CC products, except for those profiles who were grandfathered or may have met certain requirements beyond the cap.  You'd need to let the closed account cycle in order for the available credit to "refresh" so you can request a CLI on whichever account you decide to keep.  CLI requests are HP.

Message 2 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FinStar beat me to it...yea..what he said! lolSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I thought USAA allowed the transfer of CL's between products.

If so you could probably transfer all but $500 to one card and then close the other down.

I know I did this about a decade ago.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jaxstraw wrote:

If so you could probably transfer all but $500 to one card and then close the other down.

Unfortunately, they do not allow that any longer, not since 2014 to my recollection.

Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jaxstraw wrote:

I wish they did.  These days they have very little flexibility at all.  Smiley Sad

In my years on here, I've seen exactly one person say they were able to do a PC and exactly one person say they were able to get an APR reduction, but those were either flukes or something was otherwise 'special' about their profile.  Reallocation is a no-go as well.

I have a USAA Rewards Visa I would love to do something - anything - with, but all I can do is close it. Smiley Frustrated  Since it's good for the (very) occasional BT promotion or debt shuffle I keep it around.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

The current max CL is $50K across all CC products, except for those profiles who were grandfathered or may have met certain requirements beyond the cap.  You'd need to let the closed account cycle in order for the available credit to "refresh" so you can request a CLI on whichever account you decide to keep.  CLI requests are HP.

I currently have $89k across 4 cards with USAA.  My wife has $86k.  Although the current maximum exposure is $50k, there are a couple of ways to exceed that.  One is, of course, to be grandfathered in or else have a speciall relationship with USAA -- basically, RHIP.

Just a couple of months ago I wanted to adjust credit limits between accounts and the only option available was to have the limit on one card decreased and then apply for a CLI on the other.  I called to do this and the CLD was instantaneous and then I immediately requested a CLI for the exact same amount and it was immediately approved.  I didn't have to wait for any "refresh".    

Message 7 of 9
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

Wha is "RHIP"?

Business Cards
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmoney144 wrote:

Wha is "RHIP"?

Rank Has Its Privileges.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.