Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Cash Advance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Cash Advance

What is the cash advance limit of USAA cards?  Does it vary or is it typically a set % of the overall limit?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Cash Advance

I believe the maximum is $2500 regardless of your limit

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was 2500 when I did it last month, I would suggest doing a BT to a low interest or zero interest card immediately after you do this to avoid the high interest charges.

Message 3 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

The cash advance limit is your entire credit line (it's one of the few areas their card surpasses NFCU), however if you want a no-fee advance into your USAA checking account there's a $2500 daily limit. 

If you need more than $2500 in a single day, you can use the card at a bank and get a larger amount but there will be the usual 3% advance fee.

Message 4 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

it was 2500 when I did it last month, I would suggest doing a BT to a low interest or zero interest card immediately after you do this to avoid the high interest charges.

That's actually my 'back up' plan... to get the cash advance from USAA, then do an immediate no-fee balance transfer to NFCU.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the old man talked with them about insurance recently so I think I've got an in with them.  My util is 1% and scores are decent.. a few inq but I don't know who they pull.

I don't know that I would need their insurance right away but being in with them and having that option for the future is appealing to me.  As far as credit products probably just their low interest card.  $2500/day bounced from a checking/savings with them is fine.  The 100% is appealing.  The other product I'm targetting is a PLOC with local credit union for prime + 4%.  Trying to get 25k on the PLOC which effectively the card would serve the same purpose.. provided I could get the minimum rate on it.  Seems more plausible to get the card that high than the PLOC but I'm not sure...... decisions decisions... I probably should just garden for another year+

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you dont have a checking account with them, is there another way to get a cash advance?

They sent some convenience checks but I think that would invoke a fee if I made it out to me and deposited it into another account at a diiferent bank.

Trying to plan, in case its needed in the future.

Message 7 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you dont have a checking account with them, is there another way to get a cash advance?

They sent some convenience checks but I think that would invoke a fee if I made it out to me and deposited it into another account at a diiferent bank.

I've used one of their convenience checks before (during a 0% APR promo) and there was a 3% fee, just like if you got cash at a local bank.

There should be some "fine print" on the sheet that tears away from the check (or somewhere on your statement) that gives the fee as well.

Since their checking accounts are completely free (even the paper checks are free) you might consider getting one for 'just in case'.  Their checking accounts also have free ACH transfers to and from deposit accounts at other banks free of charge, so that might come in handy for you as well.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've used one of their convenience checks before (during a 0% APR promo) and there was a 3% fee, just like if you got cash at a local bank.

There should be some "fine print" on the sheet that tears away from the check (or somewhere on your statement) that gives the fee as well.

Since their checking accounts are completely free (even the paper checks are free) you might consider getting one for 'just in case'.  Their checking accounts also have free ACH transfers to and from deposit accounts at other banks free of charge, so that might come in handy for you as well.  Smiley Wink

Thanks for the info, UncleB!

I just signed up for a free checking account online and I was impressed that it literally did take just 5 minutes or less, as their wording says.  I have been a USAA member for several years so they had my info already, that probbaly contributed tot he fast signup times.

And I ordered the free checks and deposit slips too.

Now I'm ready for the 'just in case' you mentioned.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info, UncleB!

I just signed up for a free checking account online and I was impressed that it literally did take just 5 minutes or less, as their wording says.  I have been a USAA member for several years so they had my info already, that probbaly contributed tot he fast signup times.

And I ordered the free checks and deposit slips too.

Now I'm ready for the 'just in case' you mentioned.  Smiley Happy

Good job!  I genuinely believe you'll be pleased with their Checking, even if you don't use it as your primary account. 

You might already know this, but they also refund the fee charged by other bank's ATM machines... you'll get the amount of the fee put back in your account just before they generate the statement.  They will refund up to $15 each month/statement.

Also, if you have direct deposit, you'll get your money a day early... which has come in handy quite a few times for me!  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.