Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Credit Cards 411

@Anonymous wrote:

I was approved 17 months ago for a USAA credit card SL $2000. I went to apply for a CLI and they said I had to wait till I graduated.

I was like, "Honey, I'mm 44 years old. I graduated a long time ago."

She, lol'd, we had a good chuckle and she explaied this to me...

The Classic Card is the lowest level you can qualify for - basically a starter card. (This is what I got) There are no CLIs or Rewards. After 18 months of bill cycles, they will review the status (payment history as well as a new pull. Unsure if SP or HP) and if all is well you can graduate to a Signateure Card

The Signature Card has a max CL of $5000. If they give the whole 5k, you can not CLI. If you are under 5000 you can CLI up to 5000.

Then you can apply for the Platinum card.

The Platinum Card starts at 5000 at the low end and goes to Unlimited.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else has USAA and wanted clarification

Cheers,

Brew

That's not accurate at all. 

It goes Signature > Base Level > Secured. 

Message 13 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Sandman771 wrote:

So what you're saying is they apply the same logic as NFCU. Which is YMMV

I would say YMMV with the expectation that it will be EX or EQ, and probably not TU.

Another notable difference between USAA and NFCU is that with USAA customer-initiated CLI requests are always a HP... there's no "AR loophole" (unfortunately).  Smiley Sad

Note:  USAA does occasionally do auto-CLIs (no HP), but they don't seem to be as common as other issuers and most auto-CLIs are rather modest, while customer-initiated CLIs (w/ HP) tend to be more generous. (YMMV)

Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB

What does AR mean?

And thanks for the data points on the hard pulls Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 27
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Account Review

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

Account Review

Thank you for clarifying. I am definitely still a sheep with credit card abbreviations 

Message 17 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
@UncleB

What does AR mean?

And thanks for the data points on the hard pulls Smiley Happy

NFCU does a soft-pull on all their cardholders every two months... if you get a copy of your report directly from the bureaus it shows up as an "AR" (account review).

For the longest time it was always done on EQ, but this year a few times it was done on EX.  It's done at the same time for everybody, so all one has to do is hang out over on the NFCU 'mega' thread and someone is sure to confirm when it takes place.  Smiley Happy

It's a well-known "trick" that if you ask for a CLI on your NFCU card shortly after the bi-monthly AR is done there's a chance NFCU won't do a HP.  Smiley Wink

There's no such "trick" with USAA, though... as far as I know all customer-initiated requests with them are always a HP. 

Message 18 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Account Review

Thank you for clarifying. I am definitely still a sheep with credit card abbreviations 

We do use a lot of abbreviations and acronyms here... this thread might help:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have it reversed. platinum is up to 5k limit, a signature limit starts at 5k and is up to lender. This is the norm for any bank including USAA and yes unless you are a special case $50k max exposure is their limit per account holder.
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.