Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Limitless VS BOA Preferred Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Limitless VS BOA Preferred Rewards

I am not a points accumulator and I don't travel often and when I do, it is for work, so it goes on a small business card.

I know I am not maximizing my personal rewards, but I don't want to spend a bunch of time worrying about it.  I generally take cash rewards.

I don't want the hassle of any mixing in any spend I can put on the business as the rewards won't outweigh any other advantages. For example gas and dining aren't worth the small extra to put on a personal card with higher rewards.

I have a USAA Limitless which is where I put general spend now.

I have a BoA Cash Rewards and am Platinum Honors.

I consistently have special offers for BoA Travel Rewards and Premium Rewards.

Can some of you more knowledgeable rewards spenders provide some insight as to where I should put my personal general spend?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Limitless VS BOA Preferred Rewards

Your USAA limitless is 2.5% as long as you have a direct deposit, right?

Given how you described your situation and wanting to keep things simple, the usaa card is a slam dunk. Even if you were chasing points that card is hard to beat.

I’d stick with usaa and know that you’re earning better rewards than most people and doing it without having to worry about category spending or redemption options / points transfers.
Message 2 of 13
sunkissed
Established Contributor

With Platinum Honors, BoA’s Premium Rewards earns 3.5 points on travel and restaurants and 2.625 points on everything else which beats USAA’s Limitless 2.5% on everything. Of note, Premium Rewards has a $95 annual fee. If you use the $100 travel credit each year you’ll come out $5 ahead of the fee.

I went the BoA route and skipped the Limitless.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 3 of 13
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Looks like you got money in the bank with boa, whichever is higher for your general spend regardless of category I would go with that. So, I would go with the Limitless.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunkissed wrote:

With Platinum Honors, BoA’s Premium Rewards earns 3.5 points on travel and restaurants and 2.625 points on everything else which beats USAA’s Limitless 2.5% on everything. Of note, Premium Rewards has a $95 annual fee. If you use the $100 travel credit each year you’ll come out $5 ahead of the fee.

Some good points here. The Limitless is a nice card, but it can't beat BOA Premium rewards if you're Platinum Honors customer. I think the only good thing about the Limitless here would be the instant rewards credit (where BOA is monthly after the statement cuts).

Message 5 of 13
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

Some good points here. The Limitless is a nice card, but it can't beat BOA Premium rewards if you're Platinum Honors customer. I think the only good thing about the Limitless here would be the instant rewards credit (where BOA is monthly after the statement cuts).

I prefer to BoA over USAA for credit cards. BoA is more flexible – with SP CLIs now and they allow product changes and APR reductions.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunkissed wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

I prefer to BoA over USAA for credit cards. BoA is more flexible – with SP CLIs now and they allow product changes and APR reductions.

True, it would be nice if USAA allowed product changes and SP increases (other than automatic). 

Message 7 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Which sneaker is better ,Nike or Adidas? Lol, will always pros and cons on which is better debates. What ever works best for your spendSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

inverse ... you mentioned simplicity and your travel requirements were focused on a small business card so a spend where you get the simplicity desired. Since I do not travel as such anymore ... many of the travel cards that offer potential leverages for more than 2.5% or even 3% are not appealing. Many MyFicoer's focus on the leveraging that includes travel (I get that) but, for small spenders and non-travelers (used to have the travel cards) simplicity and 2.5% is simple or a connection to some form of checking/savings product that might add to the mix and higher return works. I'm keeping it simple.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do remember hearing what sunkissed said now about the bofa offering 2.65% if paired with a high balance account (I’m guessing that’s platinum honors?) which makes it a better deal.

Knowing that, if it were me I would choose whichever bank I preferred doing business with, as the extra 0.15% is probably not worth scrambling over.

Still prefer Usaa as far as customer service and very little wait when I call, but perhaps bofa answers quicker for platinum honors members. I know chase private clients and sapphire reserve have a different number and I’ve yet to wait more than a couple rings when calling for reserve card issues. Bofa on the other hand usually puts me on a list and calls my number back at a later time (Not a platinum honors member)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.