Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Membership Question

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

USAA Membership Question

Hi all...

I've looked at the USAA site a few times because lots of people speak so highly of them. We are not military and would join in the "other" category. Have a couple of questions:

1) What does "joining" mean? I'm not actually apping for anything when I join, am I?

2) Is membership based on the individual? In other words, would both my husband and I join if we eventually wanted to use some of their products?

3) Do they do a hard pull when you join?

We may eventually want to get one of their credit cards...probably this fall. Is there benefit to becoming a member now and perhaps opening a savings/checking/investment-type account with them? From reading here, it seems they reward those who have multiple products with them. I know we can't do some of the insurances, so I didn't know what might help us as being non-military and not eligible for the full meal deal.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

Re: USAA Membership Question

I just opened a limited membership and tried to apply for a secured credit card, but they said, as a limited member, I didn't have access to loans or insurance products. I believe I only have access to checking, savings, and investment products. 

When I joined, I didn't have to make a deposit. I just joined. I'm not sure if they pulled credit. Haven't checked yet. My wife and I both joined. 

Message 2 of 29
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Thanks ScottsdaleDad. I'll have to go back to the site and check. I thought it said that individuals (non-military) were eligible for credit cards. I don't have a problem doing some savings or checking, but if I'm not eligible for much else, then I hate to spread things out again. I end up with a bit of savings here...a bit of savings there...and then if you start counting the 401s, etc....I'm spread out even more.

Off to check it out...

Message 3 of 29
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

I’m a limited member and just got the secured cc + so have other limited members.  Limited members can also get the unsecured ccs.  There seems to be some conflicting responses from USAA regarding the secured cc as it’s still a pilot program.  Limited members can get- cds, auto loans, ccs, + many other things...insurance seems to be the only thing 'off limits' to me.

I joined usaa 4-6 years ago and they did not pull a hard @ joining (I opened ckg/savings @ that time), but that may have changed.  Give them a call- they are VERY friendly + can answer all of your questions.

Message Edited by creditreformer on 03-06-2010 09:32 AM
Message 4 of 29
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Creditreformer...thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 29
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

Thanks creditreformer. I think you're right about the conflicting information. The CSR at USAA was about to send me the app, then she said I wasn't eligible because I'm a limited member. I'll try until I get someone to send me the app.
Message 6 of 29
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

keep trying scottsdale...it took me 2 emails through usaa's site + 1 phone call to get them to say they'd mail me the app.  first i got told 'no secured cc exists'...then i got told 'a pilot program/not open to non military'...then i emailed 1 more time + got told something like 'while it's a pilot program, as a commitment to service, we'll send you an app.'  i think it helped that i've banked w/usaa (also have had cds + investment accts) for 4-6 years.  i also think it helped that i sent in the max (1.5k) deposit so they could see i was serious about this cc.

once usaa got my $ (wired) + app, the cc/cd showed up in my usaa acct within 1 day.

i've read of some other non-military members getting the secured cc, so i guess it depends on which rep you get + also maybe how long you've been w/usaa.  i've also read of some non-military members being told they'd get the secured cc + then after they sent their app in, they were told they're not getting the cc.  not sure why there's a conflict, but maybe usaa hasn't worked out all of the kinks

btw, another option is a secured cc loan w/usaa...2.5k minimum deposit + reports on your credit reports

Message Edited by creditreformer on 03-07-2010 06:56 PM
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! I'm also a limited member. Yes, you can get their credit cards being a limited member. You will not be eligible for some investing, insurance and some other products unless the person you are joining through has one of those products active (insurance). Having joined as "other individual" I got approved for their Amex 18300 and MC 18300. Good limits to start) They canceled MC in 2 days said something like we cannot offer you 36k right now, you are a new member and so on. Maybe that is because of the short credit history. But I'm still using the Amex. Hope this helps 
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, they do not pull hard for membership. When you apply for credit they will only do 1 pull and use it for 30 days for other applications
Message 9 of 29
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Thanks Lexa.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.