Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Membership Question

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: USAA Membership Question

@ScottsdaleDad wrote:

I just opened a limited membership and tried to apply for a secured credit card, but they said, as a limited member, I didn't have access to loans or insurance products. I believe I only have access to checking, savings, and investment products. 

When I joined, I didn't have to make a deposit. I just joined. I'm not sure if they pulled credit. Haven't checked yet. My wife and I both joined. 

I just found out as a limited member you can open a CD and then open a secured line of credit using the CD!!

Message 11 of 29
gpeach
Regular Contributor

We are military so we have access to everything. If you can get in at any stage I would. Because never know they may open up insurance or loans in future to others. Our insurance is excellent. No one can touch the coverage and rates we have. I have best covereage they offer. My old agent was double the cost for same coverage. And our loan rate again really low. Excellent service.
Message 12 of 29
ScottsdaleDad
Contributor

I kept trying and they are sending me the app. I think you're right that they might open membership up down the road, so I'll start building a relationship now.
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man ... I should keep trying :-)

They told me as well that I was not eligible for the Sec CC due to the fact that it was a Pilot program and I was on limited membership!

Anyone mind PMing me the email address they used to communicate or an account rep specifically to ask for?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 29
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Hi Lynette, I just saw this thread and think I can answer your questions.

1. Joining means nothing but you are part of their "family".

2. They consider each individual on their own merits.

3. No hard pull when you join.  When you apply for a credit product they almost always pull EQ only and the pull is good for 30 days.

I am also nonmilitary but joined USAA last year but did not open any accounts.  Because of all the great things I've read here, I decided to apply for their Mastercard this week.  I was instantly approved for $14,200.  But, the APR was15.9% so I called to ask for a lower APR.  I was told they are waiting for the WSJ to publish it's prime rate at the end of April before considering lower APR's.

I think both you and your DH would have an excellent chance for their CC with your scores.

They use the FICO Beacon 5.0 scoring model so the score you get here is the one they will use in their evaluation.

Good luck . . . . what I've found so far is their front-line CSR's are very friendly and knowledgeable.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 29
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I joined yesterday as a limited member. I haven't opened anything or applied for anything. I guess what I'm trying to get to is if I open a checking and/or savings, what are the chances of a preapproval appearing? I really, really want that Cash Rewards AMEX but do not want to apply.
Message 16 of 29
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

The only CC I've seen available to limited members is the Platinum Mastercard.  Now that you have joined, log on and see what offers there are for you.  However, if you apply, there will be a hard pull since there was none required to join.

I have been a member since July, 2009 and seen no pre-approvals.

YMMV

Message 17 of 29
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I noticed the Mastercard but I already have 2. I'm going for a Noah's Ark thing in my wallet (2 MC, 2 Visa, 2 AMEX, 2 Discover Smiley Tongue). If you Google the USAA AMEX, it provides a link to the application and it looks to be open to all. Alas, if there are no preapprovals for limited members (like I was hoping for with Penfed) I may have to apply later this year. I have a 'few' inq's on EQ; 4 in dispute and 4 set to drop off no later than July.
Message 18 of 29
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

FWIW, I had 14 inq. on EQ during the last 2 years but none within the last 6 mo.

Message 19 of 29
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I app'd...denied.

We regret that we're unable to open a Standard American Express account for the following reasons:

• Length of time accounts have been established added some accounts over the last year--5 to be exact
  • Time since most recent account opening is too short most recent was an accepted preapproval in October 2009
  • Too many inquiries last 12 months I knew this might be an issue--and I just disputed 4 of them today and another 4 are to fall off by July!
  • Length of time revolving accounts have been established yeah...AAoA is terrible!

I'm disappointed but not surprised. I figured I was due for a denial sooner or later. I had a pretty hot streak for approvals and CLI's. AND I BROKE MY PROMISE TO NOT APP FOR ANYTIHNG FOR A YEAR!!! >Smiley Indifferent

Anyone have any luck with a recon???

Message Edited by MrShush on 03-11-2010 07:56 PM
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.