Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Membership Question

tag
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Re: USAA Membership Question

you should most definitely recon. If for no other reason than your own satisfaction.  I was actually denied when I first apped for their Amex card due to "too many inquires"  Problem was, they were all for car shopping and the system didnt read them that way.  Ask for the credit dept when you call the customer service number and they are very helpful - she approved me after she took a look and saw that they were, in fact from car shopping.

Good Luck! 

Message 21 of 29
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Lyythine wrote:

you should most definitely recon. If for no other reason than your own satisfaction.  I was actually denied when I first apped for their Amex card due to "too many inquires"  Problem was, they were all for car shopping and the system didnt read them that way.  Ask for the credit dept when you call the customer service number and they are very helpful - she approved me after she took a look and saw that they were, in fact from car shopping.

Good Luck! 

Thanks--I am going to call them next week. I'm hoping I'll get a positive response as my inquirie situation seems similar.

5 from 2008 and mortgage shopping

1 from 2009 for a car

2 from my employer (which is a bank and not authorized by me)

2 from Penfed--1 car loan app and 1 for joining!

1 from CIT for Newegg.

Message 22 of 29
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Denied the recon. I didn't speak to an analyst rather a first line CSR. Nice enough but unwilling to budge on the denial. She then proceeded to sell me a secured card. I in no way need to establish credit or truthfully, did I even need a new card. All I really wanted to do was minimize my exposure to Chase, Citi, and BoA/FIA Card Services. I guess I'll have to reset the 'no new credit' clock and wait it out.

There are 3 inquiries made by my employer and I am having the worst time getting them taken care of. The employer blames EQ, EQ blames the employer and here I sit, with unauthorized inquiries affecting my score and ruining my chance for a new trade. End of rant.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

good info in this thead

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I haven't apped for a card in a long time b/c I was waiting on all of my INQ's to fall off. I was trying to decide between Alliant & USAA. I went for USAA & was denied with a 719 EQ score & no INQ'S. the reasons to many accounts=17 open & 5 closed to many accounts with a balance=5 but 4 of them has balances under $20 high utility=4000+ balance but still well under 10% utility(told the rep I usually never carry a big balance but I just purchase a corn Pellet furnace. not enough dept experience=my oldest card(target) is about to hit 3 years and almost all other accounts r all well over 2 years I'm kinda glad b/c the only card they would allow me to app for is a non rewards card and I do not use them at all. I'm on my way back to my credit card garden.
Message 25 of 29
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I haven't apped for a card in a long time b/c I was waiting on all of my INQ's to fall off. I was trying to decide between Alliant & USAA. I went for USAA & was denied with a 719 EQ score & no INQ'S. the reasons to many accounts=17 open & 5 closed to many accounts with a balance=5 but 4 of them has balances under $20 high utility=4000+ balance but still well under 10% utility(told the rep I usually never carry a big balance but I just purchase a corn Pellet furnace. not enough dept experience=my oldest card(target) is about to hit 3 years and almost all other accounts r all well over 2 years I'm kinda glad b/c the only card they would allow me to app for is a non rewards card and I do not use them at all. I'm on my way back to my credit card garden.

Good to know! I was considering applying, because our scores are 768 (DH) and 728 (me), but our history is about the same as yours. I won't waste the inq.

Thanks!

Message 26 of 29
MidnightOwl
Regular Contributor

I applied online today for a USAA checking account & WOW !!! I got approved instantly. Apparently, no hard pull or chexsystems pull ( i'm on chex ) Anyway, it blew me away & I was surprised it went through without a hitch. I also understand that they are starting a secured card program which I will be applying for in the near future. Just wanted to pass on my success today when opening a checking account online.

Message 27 of 29
ZoomZoom22
Valued Member

I just app'd USAA today as a limited membership.  I joined about 9 months ago and I am a former active duty person but I didn't meet the criteria (date limits) to be a full member.  I had hoped that limited membership may lead to a full membership someday and I would get "promoted" or hopefully they would change their rules and allow all former active duty etc.

I had read here that other people had app'd for a cc with limited so I gave it a shot.  I app'd for the Amex and was approved online and then immediately app'd for the MC as well.  I got a message on the MC that said it would be reviewed and I should get an answer through the website "messages" area within a couple of hours and to login and check back (I will do this later today).

The down and dirty:

1.  what your EQ FICO score at time of app 

2.  what was your AAoA and age of oldest account

6 years, 3 months.  AOA: 14 years, 8 months

3.  what was your highest CL at time of app

$25,000

4.  any EQ derogs at time of app

Yes, (3) 3-4 years ago. (30 days)

5.  what instant offers you received online

None, I app'd.

6.  what instant Credit Limit & APR did you get

$15,000, 10.99%

7.  what credit did you receive through LO if no preapprovals

8.  what verification or docs were required

None

9.  Comment you think helpful

None, except what I read here that USAA does 1 hard pull and it is good for 30 days, so I app'd immediately for the MC as well, haven't checked back to see if approved (see above).

Message 28 of 29
ZoomZoom22
Valued Member

My WC Mastercard was approved also (noted above) for $15,000 @10.9%

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.