cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Platinum upgrade to world possible?

tag
konabill
Regular Contributor

USAA Platinum upgrade to world possible?

I've had my USAA Platinum Mastercard for about  1.5 years with a APR of 16.9%   It has a zero balance.  My USAA World Mastercard has $18k limit with 8.9% interest.  

I use the World card and never use the Platinum due to the difference in interest rates.   At last to get to the question.........Will USAA upgrade the Platinum card to a product with a better interest rate WITHOUT applying for a new card.  A hard pull before UPGRADE will be fine if that is required.  Anyone have success with this previously??????

TU 802 EQ 806
*USAA*PENFED*NFCU*AMEX*DISCOVER*CiTi*WALMART*BESTBUY*
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Platinum upgrade to world possible?

@konabill wrote:

I've had my USAA Platinum Mastercard for about  1.5 years with a APR of 16.9%   It has a zero balance.  My USAA World Mastercard has $18k limit with 8.9% interest.  

I use the World card and never use the Platinum due to the difference in interest rates.   At last to get to the question.........Will USAA upgrade the Platinum card to a product with a better interest rate WITHOUT applying for a new card.  A hard pull before UPGRADE will be fine if that is required.  Anyone have success with this previously??????

With USAA it is the actual credit limit that determines whether your MasterCard is a World MC or a Platinum MC.

If you call in and get a successful credit limit increase to $5k or more on your Platinum, they will change it to World.  You can always redistribute credit limits between USAA credit cards to achieve the same goal if you want, also.

Message 2 of 10
konabill
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@konabill wrote:

With USAA it is the actual credit limit that determines whether your MasterCard is a World MC or a Platinum MC.

If you call in and get a successful credit limit increase to $5k or more on your Platinum, they will change it to World.  You can always redistribute credit limits between USAA credit cards to achieve the same goal if you want, also.

I will call USAA in the morning and post the results.  06 Thanks for the input  Smiley Happy   

TU 802 EQ 806
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@konabill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@konabill wrote:

I will call USAA in the morning and post the results.  06 Thanks for the input  Smiley Happy   

The only thing I might be concerned about is whether or not they will allow you to have two of the same product.  A quick phone call will get you the answer, though.

Good luck & please let us know the results.

Message 4 of 10
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

Now see, when I called about this same issue, they told me reallocation wasn't sufficient, the MC has to qualify on its own for $5k.

I tried what O6 suggested, but was told several times on the phone and in writing that simply reallocating some of my line from my AmEx to the MC wouldn't qualify it for an upgrade to world.  So I had to wait a while and then do a hard pull in Jan of this year to get to $8k, then I was allowed to convert it to a world MC.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Icewave76 wrote:

Now see, when I called about this same issue, they told me reallocation wasn't sufficient, the MC has to qualify on its own for $5k.

I tried what O6 suggested, but was told several times on the phone and in writing that simply reallocating some of my line from my AmEx to the MC wouldn't qualify it for an upgrade to world.  So I had to wait a while and then do a hard pull in Jan of this year to get to $8k, then I was allowed to convert it to a world MC.

Maybe it depends on the representative you talk with.  We were successful in doing the CL re-allocation just a couple of months ago.

Message 6 of 10
konabill
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Icewave76 wrote:

Maybe it depends on the representative you talk with.  We were successful in doing the CL re-allocation just a couple of months ago.

Just finished a marathon with the CSR at USAA. ( Very nice and polite )  My Platinum card does not "qualify for upgrade to world at this time."   

My given options were

1, New application for World card ( I really dont need a 3rd USAA card .)    

2,  Request CLI on my Platinum card ( Resulting in a HARD PULL )  

3,  Do NOTHING !  Both cards I have with USAA are still relatively new    

TU 802 EQ 806
Message 7 of 10
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@konabill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Icewave76 wrote:

Just finished a marathon with the CSR at USAA. ( Very nice and polite )  My Platinum card does not "qualify for upgrade to world at this time."   

My given options were

Also just want to add you must be eligible for their insurance products to be eligible for the Wold version of the card. Was just informed by the CSR! Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 10
konabill
Regular Contributor

@cesarcjv wrote:

@konabill wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Icewave76 wrote:

My given options were

Also just want to add you must be eligible for their insurance products to be eligible for the Wold version of the card. Was just informed by the CSR! Smiley Indifferent

I have the World card and nothing from USAA on insurance products..........

TU 802 EQ 806
Message 9 of 10
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Correction - you have to be a full member vs a limited member. Only full members can have insurance products.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.