Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Pre approval

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

USAA Pre approval

In August I opened 2 USAA cards, Rewards Mastercard and Rewards AMEX, each with a $4k limit.  This morning I log into my USAA account and I have a pre approval for a........USAA AMEX!  I thought it was funny, I was clicking around under the app tab and on the top it had the product listed as.......Rewards MC!

Since I already have both of the products, and such NEW accounts, I wasn't going to dare to actually "accept" it but found it amusing.   

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: USAA Pre approval

@sccredit wrote:

In August I opened 2 USAA cards, Rewards Mastercard and Rewards AMEX, each with a $4k limit.  This morning I log into my USAA account and I have a pre approval for a........USAA AMEX!  I thought it was funny, I was clicking around under the app tab and on the top it had the product listed as.......Rewards MC!

Since I already have both of the products, and such NEW accounts, I wasn't going to dare to actually "accept" it but found it amusing.   

I have the exact same thing, got the Rewards Visa & Rewards Amex in July w/ $4k limits and have the same pre-approval with a lower interest rate than any of my other cards and the 0% BT offer, I'm tempted to take it.. I'm just concerned about inquiries (have 5 within 4 months on EQ) and new credit and them denying me even with the preapproval 

Message 2 of 6
Elcid89
Contributor

@seigex wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

I have the exact same thing, got the Rewards Visa & Rewards Amex in July w/ $4k limits and have the same pre-approval with a lower interest rate than any of my other cards and the 0% BT offer, I'm tempted to take it.. I'm just concerned about inquiries (have 5 within 4 months on EQ) and new credit and them denying me even with the preapproval 

I would imagine that you are still locked out of applying for additional cards if you just established the two lines in August. When you go to apply, it will probably give you a message (in USAA red ...) about having reached your application limit.

Best advice is to let the two lines that you have open already mature and then seek a CLI on both of them in 6 to 9 months. If you do them at the same time, USAA tends to be good about only doing one HP for both. I just opened both the Rewards Amex and the Rate Advantage MC a few days ago, within 10 minutes of each other, and they only pulled once.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 3 of 6
ceejx
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

@seigex wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

I would imagine that you are still locked out of applying for additional cards if you just established the two lines in August. When you go to apply, it will probably give you a message (in USAA red ...) about having reached your application limit.

Best advice is to let the two lines that you have open already mature and then seek a CLI on both of them in 6 to 9 months. If you do them at the same time, USAA tends to be good about only doing one HP for both. I just opened both the Rewards Amex and the Rate Advantage MC a few days ago, within 10 minutes of each other, and they only pulled once.

It was early July, and then I tried for the World MC they did lock me out, but I spoke to the CC rep and he said that there would be no issues... I'm not worried about the extra credit line as it'll mature fairly close with my other ones, and honestly i'm not too worried about the HP since it'll fall off a few months after the rest... so I'm not sure why I'm trying to talk myself out of it. The interest rate is attractive, and if I can get a good CL, I can pay off a retirement loan that I will lose money on if my investments start taking off.. so really it's a win win with little risk.

Message 4 of 6
Elcid89
Contributor

Smiley Happy It sounds like you've already decided to apply.

Best of luck. They aren't bad to deal with. Hope it turns out well for you. I'd also consider the Rate Advantage card. It's no frills, but it's also pretty much the lowest rate in the industry at the moment. They gave me 5.75% - on a credit card ...

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 5 of 6
ceejx
Established Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

Smiley Happy It sounds like you've already decided to apply.

Best of luck. They aren't bad to deal with. Hope it turns out well for you. I'd also consider the Rate Advantage card. It's no frills, but it's also pretty much the lowest rate in the industry at the moment. They gave me 5.75% - on a credit card ...

lol damn wish I'd seen this message before I closed the deal.. but I typically don't hold a balance anyway so I guess it's not that big of a deal for the moment.. only debt I have atm is a small retirement loan which doesn't post to my CRs

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.