cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Recon? Please Advise. Am I Being Greedy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Recon? Please Advise. Am I Being Greedy?

Hello Awesome MyFicoers!

With your help, I was able to raise my Fakos from the mid 500s to almost 700 in about a month.

I had 2 derog accounts, both medical. One was to Transworld ($77) and one to IC System ($110). They both were insurance issues with my insurance company (United HealthCare) that are private insurance through my husband's employer.

The Transworld was paid in 2013 in a big bunch of bills through my daughter's birth.

The IC Systems never should've been sent there, as it was for a lab fee that was not sent to LabCorp as the doctor was advised based on United's in network practices.

However...I contacted them both via mail per your advice and offered PFD. I guess since they were both small and medical, I was successful with the PFD.

I had no other credit lines reporting until a month ago. I applied for and was approved for a USAA Secured Amex ($250) and a Comenity card with the Children's Place ($250).

I added myself as an AU on an old card of my husband's. It's a Cap One Venture card with only 3% UTL. He has good credit. It's 6 years old with no lates. He travels a lot for work and uses a CSP, but afraid to add myself to that, as he needs to wait for reimbursement for travel and the UTL is bad at times. For like two weeks. Then it gets paid right off.

So... my question.

This morning I applied for a USAA Classic Card. I got approved for $1000 and a rate of 15%. They told me I couldn't get any higher limit or graduate to a no fee card for 18 months.

Is it possible, and how do I get a recon to a higher limit right now? Maybe even $1500? I have a considerable banking relationship with them, my 2 year old daughter's 529 with $13000, and a retirement account for a 35 year old with 180k. Does any of that matter? My annual income is 55k. My husband's is 65k. No car loans. A mortgage is his name with a monthly payment of $974. All of the cards get PIF every month.

Please tell me should I call for recon or should I sit tight and garden? Is there someone else I should get in with?

Amex revolving is my goal 🤗

Thank you. Happy to give any more info if you all need it.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Recon? Please Advise. Am I Being Greedy?

Hi,

I doubt recon will do any good.  I was in thier pilot group for the Limitless(got it in August) they gave me $1000 credit limit.  At the time it was the only card I had that I was not an AU on.  They told me after 6  months with responsible use they would increase.  I charged and paid in full every month, often times charging and paying the credit limit twice.  Since then  prior to asking for an increase I had gotten a Costco visa($7,500), Capital one QS($2,500), care credit($12,000), and Jc Penny ($3,000).  My UTI is 8% and my highest Card reorting a balance 10%.  My score is also 50 points higher than it was FICO EX 715, EQ 695, TU 712.  I asked for an increase and they always do a hard pull(which I knew) and they denied meSmiley Sad  I was actaully hurt! We have everything with them, banking and insurance.  After that I applied with Penfed.  With no relationship and one hard pull. they approved me for a powercash card($9,000), checking account, and a OLC($500).  I wrote a letter and asked how other banks that have no relationship with me could give me up to 10 times the limits they were willing to with a relationship.  I got a letter back giving me a bunch of crap about my accounts being new and try again in 6 months, oh and don't forget "we know what it means to serve".  I have paid off my balance and haven't touched it since and won't.  I'll let it age and if they want to auto increase it fine and if not fine.  If they want to close it go ahead.  In my opinion thier insurance is top notch, banking products, not so much. 

*editied to add: Been a USAA member 15 years

Message 2 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello Awesome MyFicoers!

With your help, I was able to raise my Fakos from the mid 500s to almost 700 in about a month.

I had 2 derog accounts, both medical. One was to Transworld ($77) and one to IC System ($110). They both were insurance issues with my insurance company (United HealthCare) that are private insurance through my husband's employer.

The Transworld was paid in 2013 in a big bunch of bills through my daughter's birth.

The IC Systems never should've been sent there, as it was for a lab fee that was not sent to LabCorp as the doctor was advised based on United's in network practices.

However...I contacted them both via mail per your advice and offered PFD. I guess since they were both small and medical, I was successful with the PFD.

I had no other credit lines reporting until a month ago. I applied for and was approved for a USAA Secured Amex ($250) and a Comenity card with the Children's Place ($250).

I added myself as an AU on an old card of my husband's. It's a Cap One Venture card with only 3% UTL. He has good credit. It's 6 years old with no lates. He travels a lot for work and uses a CSP, but afraid to add myself to that, as he needs to wait for reimbursement for travel and the UTL is bad at times. For like two weeks. Then it gets paid right off.

So... my question.

This morning I applied for a USAA Classic Card. I got approved for $1000 and a rate of 15%. They told me I couldn't get any higher limit or graduate to a no fee card for 18 months.

Is it possible, and how do I get a recon to a higher limit right now? Maybe even $1500? I have a considerable banking relationship with them, my 2 year old daughter's 529 with $13000, and a retirement account for a 35 year old with 180k. Does any of that matter? My annual income is 55k. My husband's is 65k. No car loans. A mortgage is his name with a monthly payment of $974. All of the cards get PIF every month.

Please tell me should I call for recon or should I sit tight and garden? Is there someone else I should get in with?

Amex revolving is my goal 🤗

Thank you. Happy to give any more info if you all need it.

I'm always hesitant to discourage anybody from attempting a recon, since policies are always changing and the only way to know if there's been a change is for somebody to give it a try.

That being said... I don't recall seeing any successful USAA recons in recent history.  Smiley Frustrated

If you do decide to give it a try don't be disappointed if it doesn't turn out the way you would like.

I can contribute that my own USAA 'Platinum' has received a couple of CLIs, one "auto" and one by request (and of course a HP).  In my experience they aren't exactly BoA or Capital One (well, the 'old' Capital One) but they aren't as slow to grow as some others.

Message 3 of 14
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

While I won't say you will most definitely not be able to Recon I will say that it is very highly unlikely that you will get anywhere with it , they are just not known for recons , if I were you I would use the card for 6 mths to a year and app for a new rewards card
Message 4 of 14
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Seems like the classic ones get stuck for quite some time
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the replies. I guess I should be thankful that I got what I did, and be thankful for all of the from all of you that got me to this point.

Can anyone tell me what my game plan, other than be a good girl and maintain a low UTL and pay on time should be? How and when should I attempt Amex or something like a Costco Citi? I love Costco a LOT. My 3 year old even says she wants to live at Costco when she gets big.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read the replies on this thread and will agree that USAA is not known for successful recons be it credit limits or Aprs. Wondered over time if a person get's marked when they first join USAA and if our scores are not great we are stuck. Now some have applied for separate new cards and did better later on so as was stated YMMV. USAA has never given me auto credit limit increase but, have obtained with a hard inquiry. Note was a cardholder for four years before the first HP CLI.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are people on here with wise advice I'm sure they'll ring in with what exacty you should do.  My thoughts are sit on the USAA card for 6 months and then apply for Costco.  I have a friend who just started building her credit and Costco gave her a card but with a $1,200 limit.  I think I'd wair it out a bit so you can get a decent SL.  I love my Costoc card and Costco storeSmiley Happy  Worth the wait IMO.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all!!

I will stay the course and be patient.

On to the garden club I go 😊
Message 9 of 14
digitek
Established Contributor

I'm surprised they gave you only a 1k limit, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. You had a 500 score very recently, can't really blame them for being cautious.

A good long term relationship with USAA is one of the best to have in the banking world, just hang out for a bit, they'll take of you if you don't act a fool.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.