tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Rewards Visa - Positive Change - 2x Dining and Gas

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yet an E-3 pay isn’t much higher than an E-2. Low level military people don’t make that much money. Glad you agree with me that the average military personnel cannot easily reach the 2% threshold in my proposal. 

If they aren't smart enough to get a 2% card then that's not really USAA's fault. Conversely, if USAA doesn't want to offer them anything comparable to what they can get on the civilian market then that's not the members' fault. Military members have access to everything that civilians have, and then some, so there really shouldn't be much whining about it.

I'm looking at it from USAA's business perspective. I'm saying USAA may not be able to afford a straight 2% card if they couldn't even afford to keep the Limitless around, so they offer a 1.5% cash back card instead. 

Most people in the military aren't us. They don't care about credit card rewards... Even if they did, it's buried down deep in their mind because they have more important things to worry about in their lives such as deployment, etc. 

Do you even use USAA? They are so ridiculously overpriced that I can beat almost every offering they have from banking to insurance elsewhere. They absolutely can afford to keep their Limitless around, they simply chose not to. Even taking a few bucks from our yearly distribution woud cover all of those that would use the Limitless mindlessly. And don't play up deployments like that, they definitely aren't something that the average servicemember loses sleep to everynight, lol. 

Yep, USAA is my hub bank plus insurance. 

The insurance price I have for renter's plus auto is lower than what Geico even gives me, and they have better customer service and are willing to bend rules to fulfuill claims. From the banking side, it's hands down the best bank I've ever used. 

Message 21 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The insurance price I have for renter's plus auto is lower than what Geico even gives me, and they have better customer service and are willing to bend rules to fulfuill claims. From the banking side, it's hands down the best bank I've ever used. 

What is so good about banking there?   Rates look terrible but maybe other things are much better

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yet an E-3 pay isn’t much higher than an E-2. Low level military people don’t make that much money. Glad you agree with me that the average military personnel cannot easily reach the 2% threshold in my proposal. 

If they aren't smart enough to get a 2% card then that's not really USAA's fault. Conversely, if USAA doesn't want to offer them anything comparable to what they can get on the civilian market then that's not the members' fault. Military members have access to everything that civilians have, and then some, so there really shouldn't be much whining about it.

I'm looking at it from USAA's business perspective. I'm saying USAA may not be able to afford a straight 2% card if they couldn't even afford to keep the Limitless around, so they offer a 1.5% cash back card instead. 

Most people in the military aren't us. They don't care about credit card rewards... Even if they did, it's buried down deep in their mind because they have more important things to worry about in their lives such as deployment, etc. 

Do you even use USAA? They are so ridiculously overpriced that I can beat almost every offering they have from banking to insurance elsewhere. They absolutely can afford to keep their Limitless around, they simply chose not to. Even taking a few bucks from our yearly distribution woud cover all of those that would use the Limitless mindlessly. And don't play up deployments like that, they definitely aren't something that the average servicemember loses sleep to everynight, lol. 

I used to feel that way too, lol.They're definitely not bad, I'm just glad that I finally decided a few years ago to try shopping around for better rates. They still get the brunt of my initial direct deposit to satisfy the Limitless requirements, the money just quickly gets moved over to Ally in order to earn better interest. And I'm also glad that they let me use the Limitless on the bill that I do have with them because that's a free 2.5% off by using their card to pay them, lol. 

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What is so good about banking there?   Rates look terrible but maybe other things are much better

They're integrated very well so you can have all of your products easily and readily accessible. And they do have pretty good customer service, though I haven't experienced 'bad' service at any of the other banks that I've been using since I became more fiscally responsible. But yeah, their rates are pretty horrible when compared to many other banks, for those willing to have multiple banks. 

Message 24 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They're integrated very well so you can have all of your products easily and readily accessible. And they do have pretty good customer service, though I haven't experienced 'bad' service at any of the other banks that I've been using since I became more fiscally responsible. But yeah, their rates are pretty horrible when compared to many other banks, for those willing to have multiple banks. 

Yes, saving rate of 0.15% (if you have more than $10K, less otherwise).  I get 1.75% at CIT and there are a few higher.   That is quite a difference!

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, saving rate of 0.15% (if you have more than $10K, less otherwise).  I get 1.75% at CIT and there are a few higher.   That is quite a difference!

Wow, that's even better than the 1.45% I was happy about with Ally. In fact, the difference between those two is still twice as high as USAA, lol!

Message 26 of 29
UncleB
Credit Mentor

While they don't have the best rates, they are a good fit for me and many others. 

Their checking account has free everything (ATM withdrawals, ACH pull/push, etc.) and direct deposits are credited a day early.  For those who still use paper checks, even those are free.

I can make a no-fee cash advance directly into my checking account, and from there pull it out at an ATM or transfer it wherever it's needed... something that's come in handy a couple of times over the years.

I'll also say the customer service I've received has always been top-notch, and I personally like their website and app.

Back to the topic of this thread, I am happy to see that they are at least trying to improve their card offerings.

Message 27 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

While they don't have the best rates, they are a good fit for me and many others. 

Their checking account has free everything (ATM withdrawals, ACH pull/push, etc.) and direct deposits are credited a day early.  For those who still use paper checks, even those are free.

I can make a no-fee cash advance directly into my checking account, and from there pull it out at an ATM or transfer it wherever it's needed... something that's come in handy a couple of times over the years.

I'll also say the customer service I've received has always been top-notch, and I personally like their website and app.

Back to the topic of this thread, I am happy to see that they are at least trying to improve their card offerings.

I get that (and understand your desire to get back on topic!)   But, frame this as if it was a credit card.      I have a card that if I spend enough, I get 0.15% cashback.   Someone else has a 1.75% cashback card.   Yes, I really like some of the features of mine, but stepping back, I have to REALLY value those features not to see that alternatives might be more beneficial!   Or not.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Instant pulls from other accounts I own, even if it's $1,000.00.

2. Push to other banks is usually same day if submitted in the morning. 

3. Checks clear instantly and the money is available straight away, just like ACH. 

4. App is better than any other banking app I've used. 

5. I don't need a transaction register because you can input checks and future transactions into online banking. 

6. Credit card can be used for overdraft protection, no fee. 

7. USAA has a "rewards store" or whatever so you can earn additional cash back at certain merchants.

8. If you open a new account, you can use the debit card through a mobile wallet right away. 

I don't care about savings rates through USAA... I can transfer money from USAA to my Discover Savings and it's there the same day.  

I'm glad the credit cards are finally being improved after they yanked the Limitless after a year. 

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.