Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Rewards vs Cash

tag
chadwick
New Contributor

USAA Rewards vs Cash

Hi! Got approved for a USAA Rewards MC (happy dance) and I'm curious what everyone thinks is better: the rewards points program or good ol' cashback?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: USAA Rewards vs Cash

@chadwick wrote:

Hi! Got approved for a USAA Rewards MC (happy dance) and I'm curious what everyone thinks is better: the rewards points program or good ol' cashback?

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I switched from cash to usaa rewards. With usaa rewards, you can see how many points you have earned and keep track of it, but not with cash rewards.
Message 3 of 6
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:
I switched from cash to usaa rewards. With usaa rewards, you can see how many points you have earned and keep track of it, but not with cash rewards.

I have both opened within a month of each other. I like the rewards program better for the same reason as above even though the program redemption is not that good.  Its ok but 1 cent per point on cash back over 20k points but like .7 per point on gift cards is terrible. 

It does does give you 2x on gas and grocery so it really is higher than 1 cent and .7 cents on that alone.

Message 4 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

I have both opened within a month of each other. I like the rewards program better for the same reason as above even though the program redemption is not that good.  Its ok but 1 cent per point on cash back over 20k points but like .7 per point on gift cards is terrible. 

It does does give you 2x on gas and grocery so it really is higher than 1 cent and .7 cents on that alone.

The 2x is only for the USAA AmEx, afaik.   I have the point rewards card.  points > cash, but I actually only use this card for paying my car / renter's insurance once a month. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I prefer cash back.  It's really a subjective matter.  The rewards structure seems a bit better but I just didn't want to deal with points.  My USAA cards are pretty much sock drawer cards these days though as USAA's rewards -- whether cash or points -- really aren't that great overall compared to the other options out there.

@DigitalArk wrote:

My cash back earned is clearly listed to the right of my account details for each of my cash back cards.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.