Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA SECURED AMERICAN EXPRESS

tag
arredondo3417
Valued Member

USAA SECURED AMERICAN EXPRESS

OK SO. I STOP BY THE USAA WEBSITE AND I NOTICE OF THE AMERICAN EXPRESS SECURED CARD HOW DOES THIS CARD WORKS. DOES ANYONE HAS THIS CARD ALREADY. HOW DO I APLY FOR I WILL REALLY LIKE TO HAVE THIS CARD EVEN IF IS A SECURED CARD. DOES ANYONE HAS THIS CARD OR HAD SEEN IT BEFORE ????
Seedling:
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA SECURED AMERICAN EXPRESS

@arredondo3417 wrote:
OK SO. I STOP BY THE USAA WEBSITE AND I NOTICE OF THE AMERICAN EXPRESS SECURED CARD HOW DOES THIS CARD WORKS. DOES ANYONE HAS THIS CARD ALREADY. HOW DO I APLY FOR I WILL REALLY LIKE TO HAVE THIS CARD EVEN IF IS A SECURED CARD. DOES ANYONE HAS THIS CARD OR HAD SEEN IT BEFORE ????

You should rewrite your post so its clearer for people to understand; otherwise you might not get any helpful responses.

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 2 of 22
arredondo3417
Valued Member

my bad. What im trying to say is if this card is like all the other secured credit cards I mean is an American express does it comes with rewards like most of the American express cards I have never seen an American express secured credit card ???
Seedling:
Message 3 of 22
logan_720
Established Contributor

I would say no. Although you should check the fine print. They way I interpret this, is, that the card is simply on the American Express network. It is not a card that is backed by them. USAA is the issuer, therefore they provide the rates, etc. American Express does not offer secured cards. 

Message 4 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

I would say no. Although you should check the fine print. They way I interpret this, is, that the card is simply on the American Express network. It is not a card that is backed by them. USAA is the issuer, therefore they provide the rates, etc. American Express does not offer secured cards. 

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@arredondo3417 wrote:
my bad. What im trying to say is if this card is like all the other secured credit cards I mean is an American express does it comes with rewards like most of the American express cards I have never seen an American express secured credit card ???

It won't put you in the American Express rewards network, which is run by American Express. If it's like the other non-secured USAA cards, it will offer the USAA rewards.

Also, if it's the non-secured USAA AmEx, it offers the consumer protections that come from the network (extended warranty, etc.)

As the others said, read the section on benefits on the site, or call up customer service. They're very helpful.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 22
TryN2Rebuild
Regular Contributor

The secured card AMEX thru USAA doesn't have rewards with it. I have the secured AMES thru USAA. Also like everyone has said on these forums this card will not graduate to an unsecured card. Just so you are aware of that.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the USAA American Express Secured Credit Card and there ARE some rewards you can get because you will be on the American Express network.  For instance, American Express runs a promotion from time to time for using an American Express card at a Small Business.  You will find these kinds of promotions on Facebook.  My husband and I both signed up for that promotion and when we shopped at the recommended Small Business in our neighborhood, we each got a $20 statement credit.  SO, you just have to watch on Facebook for American Express promotions.  ALSO, you can shop on the USAA website at their online store and get points-type rewards there.  But, otherwise, the USAA American Express Secured Credit Card does NOT generate any points or cash back rewards of its own.  It does not graduate to an unsecured REAL credit card.  You can add as much as you like to fund the card's credit limit.  And, you will make a little money on the CD that you open when you set up the account for this card.  Beware though that it takes FOREVER to set up the card and actually get it in the mail but, when you finally do get it, you won't leave home without it. Smiley Wink 

Hope this helps!

Message 8 of 22
arredondo3417
Valued Member

THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE    I REALLY APRECIATE 

Seedling:
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've yet to find an answer to my question. Does USAA do a hard pull for a secured Amex? I'm interested in opening an account, and I had begun to fillout the application but stopped as I did not know. I'd rather not take the hit. If they do a hard pull, can anyone speak to what their average score for approval is?

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.