Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Visa lowered credit limit by over 10k with no notice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Visa lowered credit limit by over 10k with no notice

@Anonymous wrote:

With all respect...doesnt sound right. True eligibility fails would necessitate a closing of an account..not a cld

Gregg

That is what I was thinking as well, Gregg. There wouldn't be any in between - just closure or keeping it open.

Message 31 of 58
fredd

tydawg, thanks for that reference.  Where did you find that?  I've already closed the account, so I'm dunzo with these people. It was nice while it lasted.  Also working on getting other insurance quotes from an insurance broker friend.  As you can imagine, I'm pretty pissed off right now.  It's bad enough to go through a crappy divorce many years ago, but to be punished for that later is just BS and I really don't want to do business with this company if that is the way they operate.  Just the struggle I had to even talk to a person who knew what they were doing is not a good indicator.  I am a philosophical person and believe sometimes things happen for a reason, so I am taking this as a sign that it's time to move on from these people.  Thanks again for the feedback and insight.

Message 32 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fredd wrote:

members like myself who are no longer married to the actual service members.  

That's discrimination based upon marital status and I can't see how that would be reasonably allowed.

What's next, to get rid of children of service members? Sheesh.

Message 33 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup Humu...as you know with my situation...there's always a reason...and its black or white (or open and closed). Nothing else.

Gregg Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup Humu...as you know with my situation...there's always a reason...and its black or white (or open and closed). Nothing else.

Gregg Smiley Happy

Agreed, Gregg. And you can tell Capital One good riddance and there is no love lost, now that you have Prestige at 37k and AAdvantage at 34k, among others.

I can only hope to get my month-old Prestige up to 37k! Nicely done Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 58
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@fredd wrote:

Hello,

I am not a frequent poster here but wanted some advice.   I got my USAA Visa statement electronically tonight and noticed they lowered my credit limit from 30k to 18k with no notice.   I have had this account since 2004, never late, no problems.   Lower 800s credit score.

I am not happy right now.  I have not seen a change in my credit score due to this but it may be too soon.   I was worried this kind of crap would happen once they went from MC to Visa branded cards.

My question is this:  I am contemplating closing this account.  I realize that closed accounts can impact credit score but so can lowered limits.  Which is worse?  I am tired of the way these people have started treating Veterans.  I really don't need this card and was only leaving it open because of credit score issues.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm truly glad you posted this, since they did the same to me!!  I didn't have time to read all the replies in this thread, but I will go back and look over!  I have 3 credit cards with USAA  1 Visa Sig 12k opened since 2012, 1 AMEX 12k since 2014, and 1 AMEX 12k since 2014......   You will be getting a letter in the mail as I did, but initially they lowered me first and left me bewildered, then maybe 2 weeks later the letter came......  They took one of my Amex and dropped it down to $500 dollars and left the other 2 alone.  I'm gonna call them and just have them close out that 500 card now or they could of just divided up between the other two.   I don't know...should I leave it be or close it?

After they lowered one of my cards, I changed the name online for that card from USAA AMEX to Blacksheep Amex...LOL...since I didn't know why they lowered it!!Smiley Tongue

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I smell BS on USAA's part because you are eligible for a full membership....

Former Dependents

For USAA P&C Group membership eligibility purposes, a former dependent is an adult, or otherwise emancipated, biological or adopted child, stepchild, legal ward or an unremarried widow, widower, or former spouse of a USAA P&C Group member. USAA uses Department of Defense definition criteria of dependent as a person eligible for dependent military benefits.

Message 37 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Humu...so, as I leave to go pick up my son...and for those of you who know me and my strides and struggles within the credit world...I have to say this just doesnt sound right...Im not implying that the OP is being disingenuous..im just saying that there is no way usaa is taking adverse action against a member b/c they are no longer married to a member (are widowers and divorcees synonomous?)....and with respect to an eligibility fail...account would be closed....not sliced. So...there is something else.

Be well everyone....Happy thanksgiving to you all and your families (if im not on prior to turkey day). Cherish and love each other...Always.

Gregg Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 58
fredd

Yes, I agree with you both.  Something is rotten in San Antonio.  And as you can see from the other member's post., it is happening to others too.  I am going to write a letter about this to the head honcho and voice my protest about this situation.  Thanks again for all the nice comments and help.

Message 39 of 58
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

As a member of USAA I don't think this person has given you correct info . Infact I too am a member bc I was married to a military memeber and at the time we were married I was a member and im still a member 10 plus years after our separation . They told me once a memeber always a member , something seems very very off with that OP
Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.