Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA and Chase

tag
alexak
Regular Contributor

USAA and Chase

Ive been thinking about apping for both USAA Visa (I'm a partial member) and Chase Freedom once my balances on my current cards report as $0 and a few of my Inqs fall off (any time now). My question is I am in a DMP (Debt management program), due to some financial mishaps about 2 years ago. and should be done by January. My question is, will I get denied because one of my cards is in DMP (old BofA card)? 

I dont want to burn an inquiry if I have no chance of getting approved Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: USAA and Chase

Chase is pretty strict about baddies. You might want to just go for USAA, but on the other hand the worst that can happen is you get denied and a HP.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 18
alexak
Regular Contributor

Ok, what are my chances with USAA? My updated score is in my sig. Hoping to see a small jump when I get my util to 0%. 

Also, any other places I can try? Looking for a slightly higher limit and a card that will grow with me, unlike the cards I have now (see sig).

Message 3 of 18
alexak
Regular Contributor

Bump...
Message 4 of 18
mr_postman
Regular Contributor

USAA pulls EQUIFAX with your score of 606 EQ might get denied just my opinoin Chase i wont even waste an inquiry

Message 5 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@alexak wrote:

Ok, what are my chances with USAA? My updated score is in my sig. Hoping to see a small jump when I get my util to 0%. 

Also, any other places I can try? Looking for a slightly higher limit and a card that will grow with me, unlike the cards I have now (see sig).

USAA is a more conservative lender. And they offer better CCs, terms, rewards, etc. to full members than partial ones. I wouldn't waste my time with them until your credit is really good, if you really want an USAA card.

I don't think Chase would approve you. They are a prime lender and may balk at your DMP, plus your FICO is pretty low. Your OP says that you have other CCs. What are they? Maybe you can just CLI what you have now. Otherwise, you may need to let them age a bit so your FICO improves before apping for prime CCs.

Maybe when your DMP is done in Jan, your scores will jump.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 18
alexak
Regular Contributor

Right now I have cap1 green and orchard bank unsecured... I've read they do not give customer initiated CLIs, or I would have gone that route. In DMP is an old Bank of America card and paid off can closed is an old cap1 platinum visa card.

Not sure why my EQ from USAA CMS is so much lower than my FICO...
Message 7 of 18
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@alexak wrote:

Not sure why my EQ from USAA CMS is so much lower than my FICO...

dont pay any attention to a score that isnt a FICO cause it doesnt mean anything.  I wouldnt do USAA anytime soon cause they are known for high APR especially for partial members plus right now you would get denied anyways.  How long have you had your orchard and cap one?  Id wait till your eq fico is higher than 680ish plus one year of solid history and low util reporting before app with freedom.  If you app now and a miracle happens where you are approved it would only be for around 500 cl with a high apr as well.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 8 of 18
alexak
Regular Contributor

I've had Orchard since Jan 2012 and Cap1 since June, both with a $300 limit.

Message 9 of 18
re383209
Established Member

I will say I just go approved for the freedom with a 2k limit with 2 collection a little under 1k balance both being paid on, I was initially denied a reconed 4 times before finally getting approved they pulled an transunion 619 on me no late payments though on my report

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.