Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA and Chase

tag
alexak
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA and Chase

I've seen a lot of people getting approved for the Freedom with lower scores, which got me excited. But I think I'll wait and concentrate onpaying off my card in DMP and untily score gets closer to 700. 

Should I try to get a CLI from orchard or not even bother? I

Message 11 of 18
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I was approved for USAA with my score at 681.(they disclose it in the approval process) I fell out of my chair but I don't think they go much lower than that with approvals even with substantial income.  I would definitely work on getting close to the 680-690 range before I app with anyone if you want a prime card. This has been my experience! I wish you the best of luck Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 12 of 18
tbolt2
Contributor

Chase, I would not even think about

USAA - it's a possibility, but I would wait. Get your scorres a little higher, paye ervythng on time for a few more months.

I was approved for 1500 Visa in March with MyFICO EQ  641. NO negatives on my EQ report except very high utilization - over 70% -  and  a paid judgement from two years earlier.

at the the time of my approval:

I was AU on two cards of my wife through USAA

I had direct deposit of my payroll to USAA

I had a small savings account with USAA

I had spotless payment history for the previous year and a half on all 19 of my tradlines that had been opened in the last 2 years (including a car loan and lease).

Still spotless payment history and plan to keep it that way.

Utilization now down below 40%

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

USAA is a more conservative lender. And they offer better CCs, terms, rewards, etc. to full members than partial ones. I wouldn't waste my time with them until your credit is really good, if you really want an USAA card.

I don't think Chase would approve you. They are a prime lender and may balk at your DMP, plus your FICO is pretty low. Your OP says that you have other CCs. What are they? Maybe you can just CLI what you have now. Otherwise, you may need to let them age a bit so your FICO improves before apping for prime CCs.

Maybe when your DMP is done in Jan, your scores will jump.

How so?  Do you Care to explain?  I am a 20+ year FULL member with usaa, and they offer NO difference in what they offer FULL members than non/partial members.

What has been your experience?

Message 14 of 18
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

You can search this forum for "usaa partial member" or "limited member" and see an extensive list, but off the top of my head: you cannot get the rate advantage credit card as a partial member. You cannot get secured products as a partial member. I have personally confirmed that only full members are eligible for the lowest interest rate bracket on both their personal loans and their credit cards. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 15 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

If you have a BofA card in a DMP program, do not apply for any new credit.  They will terminate you from the program.  That happened to me.  If the BofA card is PIF, then feel free to apply for anything that your current FICO score and CR would approve.  Being in a DMP has had zero effect on my ability to obtain credit at the best rates for my score and credit report.  LOL even BofA will eventually send you a pre-approval offer one of their cards.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 16 of 18
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

+1 marty56, Until that Bofa is PIF through the DMP, you are risking the account being removed from DMP & all bets are off - original terms and penalties can be added back in. They have some of the strictest policies and guidelines to even allow a cardholder to enroll the account into a DMP.

Message 17 of 18
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Join USAA Asap.....They approved me with 4k limit compare to other toys limit i have. ......They very good with customer.......but you should wait a lil bit till your score hit around 665 to 690 then apps for some cards you want in the same day. Defi USAA first.

Good luck

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.