Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA and Wells Fargo Secured Cards - Update

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA and Wells Fargo Secured Cards - Update

Are these cards still available? I can't find any links to apply so maybe they've been discontinued? I'm a NFCU member so I guess I'll have to apply for theirs instead.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BetterMoves
Regular Contributor

Re: USAA and Wells Fargo Secured Cards

Wells Fargo secured is no longer available. That was the card that helped me get back on my credit feet, then later I added Discover It secured.

Wells Fargo Active Cash
Discover it Chrome
Amazon Prime Store (Synchrony)
Walmart Store Card (Capital One)
Citi Costco Anywhere
American Express Blue Cash Preferred
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass
American Express Gold
Message 2 of 8
dacv01
Regular Contributor

If you are open to change... the Citi secured card is an option, and has worked very well for my journey 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe USAA is working to improve their secured card so it isn't currently available. Honestly, I hope they improve it. Previously they tied your money to a cd and the card would never graduate.

I would definitely recommend either Navy or Discover's secured card. Navy's secured card graduates to the cash rewards after 6-8 months. Discover graduates in about 8 months.

Citi is also another choice but it takes some time before it graduates.  

Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA and Wells Fargo Secured Cards - Update

OP has been approved for NFCU and Discover secured cards.  I have split those posts off here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Approved-for-NFCU-Secured-and-Discover-IT-Sec...

Will leave this open for further discussion of USAA and Wells Fargo.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a secured card with USAA for 10 years and I called to ask for a credit increase or to graduate. They informed me they no longer do secure cards and couldn't help me with my request. 

Message 6 of 8
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a secured card with USAA for 10 years and I called to ask for a credit increase or to graduate. They informed me they no longer do secure cards and couldn't help me with my request. 

Wow, mind=blown. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? I can't believe that they wouldn't allow a product change, if they no longer offer the secured card any more. I'm guessing that you keep it open because it's one of your oldest cards? I think that I am going to be in the same boat with my Capital One secured eventually. Since it doesn't graduate any more and it's one of the first cards that I opened in my rebuild. I'll never see that $199 again Smiley Sad

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

"They informed me they no longer do secure cards and couldn't help me with my request. "

Eh, I figured as much. I wish they would have just told people that earlier in the year. I was so impressed with USAA when I got their secured card a few years ago. But they really bungled their communication to cardholders about 1) suspending further CLIs and 2) when the "new" secured card would roll out.  COVID-19 may have been the "nail in the coffin" for re-launching their secured card, but I'm not willing to give them a pass due to COVID-19, as they were having comm problems prior to that.

Now that it's "official" that USAA is out of the secured card business for new applicants, I can report that a USAA rep communicated to me last year that they throught USAA would not re-launch their secured card. They seemed pretty certain it was not a product that USAA would continue to offer to new applicants.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.