Established Contributor

Re: USAA is not open to everyone anymore

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

@HeilFico wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@toppers555 wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Chaos122 wrote:

Yeah, noticed that yesterday too..  Apparantly now partial members arent eligable for any banking products at all .  Looks like partial members cans till open investment accounts, but no banking (ie checking/ credit cards/ auto loans)

How does someone know if they are a full member or partial member?  I went onto the website and I didn't notice any changes and I only have 2 cc with them.

if you are non miltary you are partial. looks like it lets me into more products but still no go for the insurance.  Also I am able to apple for all cards but  I just recently open 2 so i can not test it.

I am non military but I joined though my father who was in the korean war.  I guess that makes me a partial member then.  I click on any link for quotes for insurance (life or auto) and no message comes up that I can't do it.

You are a full member through your dad. I got in the same way and have insurance, a car loan and two creditcards atm.

I am a partial member and was able to go through the quote process for insurance without erroring out...

are you being directed to ussa or liberty mutal

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 11 of 65
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Toppers, great call out. It was being redirected... strange!

Message 12 of 65
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Does anyone happen to know how product eligibility is determined?  Are full members only those actively serving or retired?

Message 13 of 65
Poki
Valued Member

I'm not sure if you guys/gals are missing out on much. I believe insurance products were never available to partial members to begin with? Their CCs are ok, but you still have some fine/good choices from other lenders.

@ilovelisa wrote:

...So apparently USAA has become just like NFCU. ...

Not quite, NFCU is significantly more strict.

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 14 of 65
studiogeek
Valued Member

I am a partial member (Liberty Mutual Insurance redirect) however I do seem to be able to apply for cards. Renters insurance gave an error saying I was ineligeble but I sucessfully went part of the way through the Amex app process.

Aug 2012 TU/EQ/EX 500's (zero positive credit, one 6 year old CO for $1100) Rebuild->Cap 1 secured $200->TU 610 EQ/EX 640, Shell $500 (cli) $750, Macy's $500, Bloomie's $500 ->(cli $1.2K), Victorias' Secret $750->(cli 1K) (level 2 moves) NFCU Visa Signature $15K/$20K, USAA $4K, Amex Blue $9K/$37K, Amex Costco $10.5K Penfed Visa $2.5K, OCCU Beaver $20K, Amex SP Gold(no limit), Chase PRG 26K ~ MyFico TU775 EQ789 EX766 / $0-$200,000 CL in just 18 months.
Message 15 of 65
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Poki wrote:

I'm not sure if you guys/gals are missing out on much. I believe insurance products were never available to partial members to begin with? Their CCs are ok, but you still have some fine/good choices from other lenders.

@ilovelisa wrote:

...So apparently USAA has become just like NFCU. ...

Not quite, NFCU is significantly more strict.

^^^This!

But FINALLY - again, only service members are allowed membership!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 16 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

USAA favors veterans more than NFCU.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 65
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

USAA favors veterans more than NFCU.

Yes, they do.  With NFCU you have to be retired and drawing retirement pay, with USAA you only had to have served, which, IMO, is more fair.

Message 18 of 65
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Wow! This is very interesting. I became a limited member in June. Looks like I got grandfathered in.

Clicked on credit cards and I'm now eligible for all but one. And the APRs have gone down 4-6%.

I'm feeling lucky that I got in when I did. Sorry to OP and others who got the intelligibility message. Might be worth a call to them for clarification. Their CS Team has been stellar in my experience.

Edit: The military affiliate card still is quoting at 13.9% APR. It looks like that has not gone down. But the other cards have gone down to 9.9% APR which looks like it's the same rate for full or limited members.
Message 19 of 65
aloush11
Regular Contributor

USAA auto insurance isn't available to you — but we still can help.

Our mission is to serve military service members and their families. Even though USAA auto insurance isn't available because of membership requirements, we can still can help you get insured today. The USAA Insurance Agency works with Liberty Mutual Insurance to provide options for members who aren't eligible for USAA auto insurance

Smiley Indifferent

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.