Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA or NFCU??

tag
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

USAA or NFCU??

Ive been spamming the boards with all these Credit Union questions and I'm down to my last question. I hope! Lets make an honest choice here, PenFed or NFCU? (if i can get in NFCU)

I am in the rebuilding process and looking for a solid bank to do all of my transactions. Mortgage, car loan, checking/savings, CC and other

Thanks Fico! Hopefully these post will allow everyone to know about each one!

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA or NFCU??

If you have a way in, NFCU.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

If you have excellent credit, PenFed is the way to go. They tend to use the same hard pull for account opening and all your products, and give great rates on loans. For almost any credit scale and assuming you're qualified, NFCU is good for credit lines. However, they are extremely pull happy and will pull for virtually everything!

Personally, i would go with PenFed. To me, NFCU has too many hoops to jump through XD
Message 3 of 21
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

NFCU - 1

USAA - 0

PenFed - 1

lol

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 4 of 21
slarano
Frequent Contributor

I have PenFed and USAA. Smiley Happy

ImageImageImage

Message 5 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@rightcoast wrote:

Ive been spamming the boards with all these Credit Union questions and I'm down to my last question. I hope! Lets make an honest choice here, PenFed or NFCU? (if i can get in NFCU)

I am in the rebuilding process and looking for a solid bank to do all of my transactions. Mortgage, car loan, checking/savings, CC and other

Thanks Fico! Hopefully these post will allow everyone to know about each one!

If you can qualify for mship in NFCU, it's definitely your better option, they are more lenient on approvals. Banking-wise, only full members can do iPhone deposits with usaa. Everyone can do iPhone deposits with NFCU. Rewards-wise and Interest rate-wise, NFCU is better with their CCs than usaa - even with usaa full members. Look at their website and compare the rewards of their CCs vs nfcu's. usaa charges ltd members higher interest rate and less rewards than their full members, and both aren't as good as NFCU.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 21
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Right on. Well im going to have to figure out if I can get into NFCU if not, I will get my Grandfather to join to USAA so he can pass the membership to me and we can have it in our family. Hopefully I will be a full member!

Message 7 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@rightcoast wrote:

Right on. Well im going to have to figure out if I can get into NFCU if not, I will get my Grandfather to join to USAA so he can pass the membership to me and we can have it in our family. Hopefully I will be a full member!

Well, frankly if I could, I would do both, if I had to choose one, I'd definitely choose NFCU. But if you can do both, its worth it. Usaa has good ins for full members, from what I have heard. id definitely get your grandfather to join. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 8 of 21
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

definitely nfcuSmiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
greeneman21
Contributor

I bank with both. I have the following with them....

NFCU

-CC

-NavCheck (line of credit)

USAA

-main checking

-main savings

-3 CC (all points are linked which is great)

-personal loan

-auto loan

-renters insurance

-auto insurance

-VPP insurance (for my wifes wedding ring)

bottom line both banks are great, I like USAA a tad better because it offers more products and their website is top-notch in the banking industry period. Both offer top notch customer service and open 24hrs, so you cant go wrong. With USAA you can also link all of your other accounts with other financial institutions. Example, i have my NFCU products and Discover card all under my USAA login, so i can see my complete financial portfolio.

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.