Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA vs NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA vs NFCU

Saw the thread on is NFCU a bag of chips.

I have USAA and i do qualify for NFCU since i am in the military

Which one do u think is better in your opinion as far as CLI APR and approval percentage.

What are the Pros and Cons of each.

Debate away Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mt2va
Established Contributor

Re: USAA vs NFCU

As a former member of USAA and current member of NFCU I would say USAA is more conservative like Penfed and NFCU is more lenient and gives those folks a chance that are credit challenged.  And those that have great scores have reported super high credit lines. 
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 2 of 14
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

NFCU is the easiest to me no hard pulls Instant always for me. USAA love button is gone now you gotta call and get hard pull. I think NFCU shows the most love.

Message 3 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If you're eligible, get both.

I recently rolled an expired USAA CD over to my money market account (also USAA), as CD rates are so sad. I was anxiously grilled by the CSR, who wanted to know if I was moving my money elsewhere (it would have been PenFed in my case.) She also noticed that I financed my car with PenFed instead of USAA, and she asked/ begged that next time, before going with a different lender, to let USAA do a counter.

I'd say you couldn't do much better than to have USAA and NFCU out on your porch, carrying flowers, dark chocolate, and good wine, engaging in some healthy competition for your love.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 14
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you get PenFed, USAA and NFCU all working for you your in great shape. Most likely NFCU will fearlessly lead the way on CL's which is great as most other issuers prefer to follow. Between the three you have access to an amazing array of financial products. Start with both USAA and NFCU. You can always pick up PenFed later.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love both.

NFCU gave me my highest CL with $20k on Platinum Visa.

But USAA gave me $15k AMEX and $15k MC, plus they have the best insurance rates and combined savings that can't really be matched, IME.

I have both and recommend both.  Each has their strengths and I don't see why you would choose one or the other, IMO.

Message 6 of 14
pattycake
Established Contributor

I want Angel73 to adopt me so I can become eligible. Smiley Happy
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 7 of 14
armywifey85
Regular Contributor

oh yea I have the Insurance and USAA has the best rates. I have both and like both but NFCU gives out awesome credit lines and CLI's no doubt. Buying a home with USAA was smooth and they have movers advantage they paid me to use their realtor program also great!
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

is NFCU like USAA. Like USAA gives higher CL based on your time with them. Or can i call NFCU set up a account just to get a CC and then apply right after and still have a big CL?
Message 9 of 14
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
is NFCU like USAA. Like USAA gives higher CL based on your time with them. Or can i call NFCU set up a account just to get a CC and then apply right after and still have a big CL?

Once you set up a savings account by phone and have an access number you can then immediately apply for any of their CC or loan products on the same phone call. The membership department can and will transfer you to the appropiate department, either their CC or loan department.

I applied for membership by phone, received my access number, and did not even have the minimum savings deposit of $5 in my savings account yet and was approved for the NFCU Platinum Visa  with a CL of 25k by their CC department. My EQ. FICO score was 794 at the time.

They pull EQ. only and your credit profile and income will be the primary determining factors for the CL NFCU approves.

Be prepared to wait 5 to 7 days for the CC approval.

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-15-2009 09:55 PM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.