Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA

@Elcid89 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

Their "rewards" SUCK.

Cash Back is based on Tierd spending levels begining with the first tier of < 1/2 a percent Cash Back (0.45%)

Usaa needs to get competitive

Plus an additional 1% of all gas and grocery purchases. This is the tradeoff for having no annual fee.

The additional 1% is only for the Amex.

All of their cards have no AFs.  

Their are other banks with more cash back rewards and with no AFs.  Like the Citi Dividend:  1% Cash back, no AF, and no Spending tiers.  

Unless Usaa gets competitive, I see no reason to get any of their "rewards" cards.

I'm not seeing the drawback. There is no cost associated with having the cards, they offer something of a reward structure (anything given back is a positive IMO) and USAA isn't particularly stingy with initial CLs for full members. It's not as if consumers are limited to X number of cards in their wallets.

I think the more appropriate term would be: no reason to "use" the USAA rewards cards.  

Also people ignore the fact that the rewards packages and underwriting criteria change all the time: the USAA rewards system was a whole lot better prior to BOFA's throwing their 1-2-3 rewards package at everyone who has a BOFA credit card secured or otherwise, as the USAA rewards were obtainable at a lot lower credit strata than the vast majority of other rewards cards.  It also didn't help that Chase dropped the Freedom underwriting criteria so substantially.

End of the day USAA was a lot more competitive 4 months ago, which isn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things, but now they've realized they need to change along with the rest of the market.  Plenty of other lenders are going through this as well, it's not an isolated case.

I know for the future my own credit plans include a USAA card, both for their limit and a comparitively low APR; however, I'm a full member and as others have noted this does make some difference.  That's regardless of whether they change their rewards or not, they're simply an excellent institution to have a relationship with and I'm more than happy wrapping my arms around them.

        
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.