Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USALLIANCE Visa Signature (Groceries)

tag
CreditCobra
Regular Contributor

USALLIANCE Visa Signature (Groceries)

I picked up this card in January of this year, after I couldn't get approved for the AOD Visa Signature. I figured that I'd just collect my 3% on this card at least for the rest of this year and see what happened after that.

Well, i just looked to see if their 3% was extended, however it appears that the end of the year will be the end of 3% for everything. Then I saw something I wasn't expecting, 6% on Grocery and Supermarket through the end of next year. Yes, NEXT YEAR!

https://www.usalliance.org/banking-products/signature-card

Anyone else have any info on this? This might become an excellent backup card for Costco come January unless Affinity decides to keep going. I'm gonna have to go get a hot dog and see if they code Costco as grocery.

Current Cards:

Stats (updated: 3/26/2024):

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
calisig
Regular Contributor

Re: USALLIANCE Visa Signature

Well this is interesting. I considered this card because even after 3% ended, it was to become a 2% card. But now the verbiage has changed and it won't even be a 2% card. Here is the old verbiage that has been deleted: "3 Points per dollar accrual rate is a promotional value and expires on 12/31/2022, at which time points will accrue at 2 points per dollar."

I wonder if the new points structure, which started September 1, will apply to all cards - including those accounts opened before September 1, or only those opened after September 1? In other words, can previous cardholders retain 2% everything? or will they be switched to 6% groceries and 1% everything else?

The USAlliance rewards program is sketchier than I thought it would be, as this categorically changes the purpose of this card.

I wanted to add a 2% card to my collection, and while a 6% grocery card would be awesome, it has an unstable rewards track record ... and can be difficult to join ...

@CreditCobra  let us know how your Costco hotdog codes - maybe I'll change my mind - cheers

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 2 of 45
CreditCobra
Regular Contributor

@calisig wrote:

Well this is interesting. I considered this card because even after 3% ended, it was to become a 2% card. But now the verbiage has changed and it won't even be a 2% card. Here is the old verbiage that has been deleted: "3 Points per dollar accrual rate is a promotional value and expires on 12/31/2022, at which time points will accrue at 2 points per dollar."

I wonder if the new points structure, which started September 1, will apply to all cards - including those accounts opened before September 1, or only those opened after September 1? In other words, can previous cardholders retain 2% everything? or will they be switched to 6% groceries and 1% everything else?

The USAlliance rewards program is sketchier than I thought it would be, as this categorically changes the purpose of this card.

I wanted to add a 2% card to my collection, and while a 6% grocery card wouldn't be bad, it's not worth it to me to add another card that has an unstable rewards track record, so I think I'll pass ...

I've already got the card, and thought it might get sock drawered at the end of the year (and replaced by my Alliant card). Now, it might have a new (and different) purpose. A 6% grocery card would work for me.

Current Cards:

Message 3 of 45
calisig
Regular Contributor

If I already had it - 6% groceries would work for me too. I applied seven weeks ago, was approved for $15k. Even though I had provided mortage like documentation, 30 days later was denied CU membership - due to 'unable to verify identity'. I asked for reconsideration and provided additional documentation, but haven't heard back from them. My orignal purpose for obtaining this card was 2% everything, and now it's changed, and they have been difficult. Hopefully they approve me.

Anyway, let us know if you get to keep 2% everything, or if they switch you over to 6% groceries, and how Costco codes. Cheers

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 4 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Just spoke to a CSR, and she said that this applies to new AND existing cardholders, and that if I use the card at a supermarket today I will get 6%.   Since CSRs always know and speak the truth....

I will try it soon.   If it is as she said, for the last 3 months this will be quite a card, 6% uncapped on groceries, and 3% everywhere else.

Message 5 of 45
CreditCobra
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Just spoke to a CSR, and she said that this applies to new AND existing cardholders, and that if I use the card at a supermarket today I will get 6%.   Since CSRs always know and speak the truth....

I will try it soon.   If it is as she said, for the last 3 months this will be quite a card, 6% uncapped on groceries, and 3% everywhere else.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, losing the 3% a the end of this year was already known, as stated in prior comments, this would have gone to a 2% card, but they went a different direction. Actually the 6% on groceries from now until the end of 2023 seems like a great deal for my current lineup. I'll have to see if Costco codes as Grocery.

Current Cards:

Message 6 of 45
digitek
Established Contributor

Glad somebody told me about this because I got no communication from USAlliance about it 😁

Message 7 of 45
CreditCobra
Regular Contributor

@digitek wrote:

Glad somebody told me about this because I got no communication from USAlliance about it 😁

Me either.

Current Cards:

Message 8 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCobra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, losing the 3% a the end of this year was already known, as stated in prior comments, this would have gone to a 2% card, but they went a different direction. Actually the 6% on groceries from now until the end of 2023 seems like a great deal for my current lineup. I'll have to see if Costco codes as Grocery.

I just noticed this in the footnote!

Maximum points earned per eligible grocery transaction is six (6).

I hope they are really referring to the multiplier.   Otherwise, spend $2.50 as a test and instead of earning even 7.5 from 3x, I get 6!

Re above comment:  Yes, they have removed the 2x language, but they haven't replaced it with 1x either. And the groceries are time limited, I would find it hard to believe than come 1/1/2024, this would be 1x everywhere card!

Message 9 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCobra wrote:

@digitek wrote:

Me either.

The lack of communication made me suspect it was new cardholders only, (16 month grocery benefit like the more limited one on chase cards)   So I am certainly only going to try a small grocery transaction first.   With the new interface, we should see points fairly quickly

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.