Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB CASH+ Pre-Qualified, Approved, then Pre-Qualified again

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

USB CASH+ Pre-Qualified, Approved, then Pre-Qualified again

Curious, I am sure this has happened to someone.

Was pre-qualified for the USB CASH+ a few weeks ago, and got approved, story here 

After having the card a couple of weeks, I am getting an email from US Bank saying I am pre-qualified for the same card again, appears to be a different confirmation code and everything.

I am not feeling brave enough to app again, my luck is not that good Smiley LOL

But I was thinking, there had to be a MF family member who has done this, and if so, were you successful?

I am also guessing there has to be a "1 USB app in x-mount of days" rule, I just don't recall what it is, so if someone knows that please post that as well.

Potential Future Cards
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: USB CASH+ Pre-Qualified, then Pre-Qualified again

I had this occur about 8 years ago just after joining this forum. First wasn't a pre-approval, though. Was searching for best rewards available and requirements and found US Bank and its options. Don't remember all of the details, you can read about it here: (https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/US-Bank-Cash/m-p/3111734) applied and waited for the manual review and was approved for $16.5K. About 2 weeks later, received another pre-approval (see thread here: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Cash/m-p/3164724) and like you thought it was very strange, thought it was just marketing, or perhaps something that got lost in the mail. Think I asked around here and received multiple opinions. Wound up calling US Bank and talked to a first and second level CSR that confirmed it was a separate pre-approval and that odds were good I would be approved. I was feeling pretty good about myself and thought 2 cards would allow me 5% for all the categories I was interested in, so went for it. Same manual review and was again approved for $12.5K. Have received a single CLI on the first card to $19K while the second has grown to $25K and was PC'd to the Altitude Go. In hindsight, probably shouldn't have applied for either card since I was within 6 months of buying a house, but it all worked out.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: USB CASH+ Pre-Qualified, then Pre-Qualified again

These campaigns are often outsourced to a 3rd party that specializes in managing them, but even if everything is handled in-house it can still take a while for the left hand to figure out what the right hand has done.  

I've had the same thing happen to me a few times with pre-approval letters with updated code sent after an approval and once after a denial Iwhich itself happened when I pulled the trigger after preapproval letter #5 of the campaign).    I've never followed up and tried again though.

I guess if you feel lucky and are willing to burn a HP without having a good take on the probability of approval you can consider it.   There are people who hold 2 x Cash+ cards and there have been same-day approvals of a Cash+ and a Max Cash so it's not like this is an impossible quest. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 4
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: USB CASH+ Pre-Qualified, Approved, then Pre-Qualified again

You guys want to laugh, a 3rd pre-qualified offer for the Cash+ just came in the mail, different confirmation code again.

If I wasn't such a chicken, I am almost tempted to APP again for this since USB wants me to so badly! Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.