Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Cash+/Elan MAX Cash: Getting the itch

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

USB Cash+/Elan MAX Cash: Getting the itch

Starting to get tired of the waiting game Smiley Indifferent , so I figured to would post to see what my fellow MF'ers think my chances are if I tried now. Smiley LOL

Ideally would like to get BOTH USB Cash+ (I am a current USB Customer for over 18-months) and the Elan MAX Cash (the Valley Bank variety) CCs.

Current Stats are:

TU F09: 800 (USB pulls TU|F09 for me)

1% UTIL

0/6, 2/12, 13/24 on New Accounts (2 NEW accounts are from February)

AAoA: 2-years 6-months

0/6, 1/12, 5/24 on INQs on TU

NO Derogs, No Late Payments.

So, what do you think? Go for the gusto? I hate HPs that come away with nothing (talking to you Citi! Smiley Mad)

Potential Future Cards
17 REPLIES 17
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: USB Cash+/Elan MAX Cash: Getting the itch

Some people could get two Elan (Visa and MC) with the same HP. Therefore, instead of applying for Cash+, you my examine your chance there first. The cards look almost identical. 

In general, it is hard to use a single Cash+ card (should have ~2-3 to cover a few categories completely).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Some people could get two Elan (Visa and MC) with the same HP. Therefore, instead of applying for Cash+, you my examine your chance there first. The cards look almost identical. 

In general, it is hard to use a single Cash+ card (should have ~2-3 to cover a few categories completely).

Well, that very much depends on where you spend (and how much they match the available categories).   An extra 2-3% of not very much is not very much, and may not be worth the extra account(s).   (Speaking as someone with 2 Cash+ and a Max Cash)

Message 3 of 18
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Given that USB is a little less sensitive to current status with the Max Cash, off the top of my head I'd probably think about doing something like targeting the Max Cash now and then the Cash+ in April when you're again squarely in 1/12 territory and 3+ months out from your last application.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 18
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

Starting to get tired of the waiting game Smiley Indifferent , so I figured to would post to see what my fellow MF'ers think my chances are if I tried now. Smiley LOL

Ideally would like to get BOTH USB Cash+ (I am a current USB Customer for over 18-months) and the Elan MAX Cash (the Valley Bank variety) CCs.

Current Stats are:

TU F09: 800 (USB pulls TU|F09 for me)

1% UTIL

0/6, 2/12, 13/24 on New Accounts (2 NEW accounts are from February)

AAoA: 2-years 6-months

0/6, 1/12, 5/24 on INQs on TU

NO Derogs, No Late Payments.

So, what do you think? Go for the gusto? I hate HPs that come away with nothing (talking to you Citi! Smiley Mad)

l've been there. The urge to app is a powerful force. You might be fine now, but I like to play it safe so I recomend waiting until you reach 0/12, to maximize your chance of approval from the sticklers at US Bank. Then do Cash+ first and Max Cash second. I did it that way with roughly similar numbers as you and got approved for both. I waited six months between the two apps, but that was probably unnecessary.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 18
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I got Cash+ some years ago to cover 5% on Uber/Lyft. After starting the pandemic, it was typically locked on utility/mobile/internet.

You may look into the other USBank cards like Altitude Connect/Go and co-branded ones like Kroger/Ralph (5% on digital wallet). The co-branded ones should be easier to get approved.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 6 of 18
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Given that USB is a little less sensitive to current status with the Max Cash, off the top of my head I'd probably think about doing something like targeting the Max Cash now and then the Cash+ in April when you're again squarely in 1/12 territory and 3+ months out from your last application.

@coldfusion I took your advice (as I usually do) and I..................................................GOT IT!! Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Approved for $21,500! Saweet! (14.49% apr)

Man, the non app drought was killing me! Smiley LOL

Thank YOU (and to all those in this thread offering advice, MUCH appreciated!)

Potential Future Cards
Message 7 of 18
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

How is this done again? I mean I could go thru a gazillion threads, but I am too lazy Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 8 of 18
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Elan-quot-Max-Cash-quot-vs-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/6198795

Message 9 of 18
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Elan-quot-Max-Cash-quot-vs-US-Bank-Cash/td-p/6198795

Yeah, thanks @xenon3030 I am in that thread, 900+ posts, too much for me to go thru..........again. Smiley LOL

I am going to *guess* to get that 2nd CC, I would probably have to of applied within minutes of the first app? Which I am probably already passed that window - unless someone can give me the crib notes (is it still called that?)  on how to do this Smiley Very Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.