Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber Visa Credit Line Reduction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Uber Visa Credit Line Reduction

Maybe because the CL available (the one before they reduced it) was too much when comparing to the average spending on the card. As you have a BK on file, if they can reduce their risks by reducing your credit line to minimize their potential loss in the future, they will. Economically speaking, it makes sense but I get it, it’s not good because your utilization will go up but if you think like a bank, it makes sense.

Also, I’d keep the card. Canceling it right now will reduce even more your overal credit line and bring your utilization up. Coming back from a BK, closing accounts is not something that you wanna do. You should be thankful that they are giving you a credit line so don’t get upset at them for trying to minimize their risk.
Message 11 of 33
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think i know which account I will be closing after paying it down

I do understand this. If this happens to me as well, I'd close it. I know, FICO logic tells us not to (already three advices above against it), but I would not want to deal with them anymore. I'd cut my losses (as my lowest CL, not that much, which I even had to fight for to begin with), and be happier not having to think about it, really.

Message 12 of 33
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Don’t close it.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 33
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Op, do you mind sharing your stats? Fico scores at present? Initial credit line and the reduced version? What kind of balance were you carrying ? Thanks. These can help others in similar situation.
Message 14 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

All that closing it will do is hurt you (in the short term) and Barclay won't care. People think they are "getting back at" the banks by closing the account after some form of AA, but the reality is the bank doesn't care. So it's best to put emotion aside.

Is the card useful to you? Ostensibly you obtained it for the benefits. If the benefits are useful, don't close it out of anger. Just let things cool down. You can still use the card and enjoy the benefits.

Message 15 of 33
RonM21
Valued Contributor

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, Barclays tends to be more known for this. One of the common reasons is using one of their balance transfer options, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

I first starting using credit cards in 2013 and they were one of the first two cards I got. About 7 months later I took a balance transfer offer from them and they AA'd me after paying it off within 3 months. This is the only time I've ever experienced an AA. But I can tell you eventually they did raise my limit again. So, it is not always a bad ending.

As others have stated, for now, I'd keep it open and let things shake out. Then, revisit and see where it stands.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 16 of 33
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

I do understand this. If this happens to me as well, I'd close it. I know, FICO logic tells us not to (already three advices above against it), but I would not want to deal with them anymore. I'd cut my losses (as my lowest CL, not that much, which I even had to fight for to begin with), and be happier not having to think about it, really.

+1

When Barclay's reduced my credit limits on two "perfect history" cards earlier this year ($15k RING and $11k Cash Rewards) I closed the accounts. Recently Citi-backed Home Depot reduced my credit limit from $25k to $5001 for non-use (strange number) I closed the account (my DW has a $25k HD account too). I refuse to do business with lenders that see me as a "special case for concern". 

I currently have too much revolving credit but this is not a new or recent issue ($400k +/-) and too many cards so its no big deal for me to close cards I don't need. I'm retired as of March 1, 2019, and moving to a place where there is much less traffic and it doesn't snow and I'm planning on closing all but maybe 6-8 cards (currently have 24) so again it's not really an issue. While I understand that this paragraph has little to do with the OP's situation or credit history, it's more to say it is YOU that should "manage" your card portfolio and be in control, not begging for acceptance from lenders. 

I understand that coming off a BK or rebuilding requires a bit of humble pie in getting accepted for the accounts you want or find useful, I'm just not interested in constantly watching my six for a credit card account that has proactively reacted negatively when I've given them no reason for concern - Barclays and Comenity are on MY blacklist and are not getting off it.  

Message 17 of 33
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not paying down the account may be the problem. Combine that with a bankruptcy, and the computers in charge will see increased risk.

Message 18 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

We all like a utilization buffer but from the banks POV it makes total sense to reduce limits on cards we aren’t actively using. Yes it sucks but business wise it makes total sense.

Luckily there’s many lenders out there for everyone to choose from.
Message 19 of 33
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Everytime I see one of these Baraclays CLD posts I head off to Barclays and check - nope, everything still fine there.

I know Barclays is well known for their CLD actions - credit limit decrease, credit limit decrease balance chasing (lowering CL as you pay down the balance), and other nefarious actions. And we know the more common reasons - opening too many new accounts after approval, and inactivity.

But I have to say Barclays has been stellar for me. I accepted a mailer pre-approval for Rewards MC in April 2012, my 2nd CC after the Jan. 2011 discharge of my BK7, CL was $3k. My 2nd Barclays card was an NFL card in March 2015, CL of $5k, so $8k combined. Today my CL between  Rewards MC & Uber is double that, $16,200, all auto CLIs except for a $2500 SL for Cash Forward. And I've done 3 PCs, "PC" the Barclays way - app & get approved for the new card you want and then call and move the CL from the old card you no longer want to the new one and close the old one.

I got he NFL card solely for the SUB and 15 month 0% BT, I used the BT to payoff a Prosper loan, saving hundreds in interest. Once the BT was paid off I app'd & was approved for Cash Forward and called & moved the CL from NFL to it & closed NFL. Cash Forward really is a lousy CC, only 1.5% rewards and a ridiculous $50 minimum to redeem rewards. So this spring I app'd for Uber. I got the "we need more time" message so I quickly called in to their excellent Credit Analyst team. The rep approved Uber, but only if I closed Cash Forward and moved the CL to Uber. Fine, that's exactly what I wanted, and I got the SUB for Uber, as I did for Cash Forward.

My Rewards MC, 6 1/2 years old, is almost a daily driver as it's a 2% rewards card for me. It gives 2% for gas, groceries & utilities so I use it to pay my electric bill and since Barclays is very "loose" on grocery coding it gives me 2% at my local Family Dollar & Walmart. Uber just gets the 4% dining. I tried it for 2% on PayPal but that's hit or miss and I have the PayPal 2% Cashback MC (and PP Credit for $99+ purchases), so why risk a miss?

Sorry for those who get hit with Barclays CLD, but they've been great for me. Maybe it's the luck of (my 50%) Irish?

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.