Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber Visa Credit Line Reduction

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Uber Visa Credit Line Reduction

@DaveInAz

I would have said the exact same thing 6 months ago - I actually posted on the RING forum something similar (praising Barclays/RING) then BOOM both cards reduced to $500 CL's with a perfect history with Barclays, moderate usage on both my cards and ZERO derogs of any kind on any account from any lender. Water under the dam now.....

Message 21 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

I currently have too much revolving credit but this is not a new or recent issue ($400k +/-) and too many cards so its no big deal for me to close cards I don't need. I'm retired as of March 1, 2019, and moving to a place where there is much less traffic and it doesn't snow and I'm planning on closing all but maybe 6-8 cards (currently have 24) so again it's not really an issue. While I understand that this paragraph has little to do with the OP's situation or credit history, it's more to say it is YOU that should "manage" your card portfolio and be in control, not begging for acceptance from lenders. 

I agree with the sentiment but I think we disagree with the application.    I have had my share of CLDs, but my attitude is "Is the card still net positive compared to my other cards?"   If it is, I keep it, and don't think of it as "begging for acceptance", just evaluating the continued utility, just as I do with all my cards from time to time.    Now if continuing CLDs could generate a UTIL issue and you don't want the potential stress of this happening unplanned, then yes, I can see closing.  But IMO, as long as I wouldn't be hurt if it actually closed, and it's still useful, I will keep and use.     It's not personal, so avoid emotion.  Of course, being a sociopath helps with this attitude....

ETA: but in your case, reducing the CL to $500, probably does make the net positive answer "no", so I would have also closed!

Message 22 of 33
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Unfortunately it's kind of common with Barclay and there are many reasons as to why it could have happened. New accounts, increased utilization,  low activity on the account, etc. In general they are risk averse and are quick to CLD/shutdown compared to some other banks.

Sometimes you can get the decision reversed by calling an analyst.

I'd try to get the decision reversed / find out why.  Back in 2008-2009, Barclays dropped my limit several times from $7k down to $1k, and finally closed it after I paid the card off.  The B&N card had a $25 fee, so I figured good riddance anyway.  Even though there were no late payments, Barclays now considers that "negative experience", and I'm effectively blocked from any new Barclays cards.  Thankfully I get to keep the three I obtained before they changed their rules, but Barclays does seem to like to tighten the 'noose'. 

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 23 of 33
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

Barclays now considers that "negative experience", and I'm effectively blocked from any new Barclays cards.

Well, if they can blacklist us, we should be able to blacklist them as well. I mean, if they think this way, I would be blacklisting them!

Message 24 of 33
sjt
Senior Contributor

I would call Barclays and find out the reason for the CLD. It could be that your balance has increased over a period of time. See if you can get it restored. If not, I would still keep the card to build your credit up.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays Strikes Again...

I had to have a misplaced card replaced on account that is in excellent standing for 4+ years. I went to activate the new card and low and behold they did a CL reduction on this account. This makes no sense and beyond livid. I do not understand what the hell is going on with Barclays as i said before in the original post I have never had CL reductions on any of my Credit Cards.

Message 26 of 33
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclays Strikes Again...

I had to have a misplaced card replaced on account that is in excellent standing for 4+ years. I went to activate the new card and low and behold they did a CL reduction on this account. This makes no sense and beyond livid. I do not understand what the hell is going on with Barclays as i said before in the original post I have never had CL reductions on any of my Credit Cards.

Barclays is an out of control operation.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 27 of 33
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Sorry to read this happening to you OP.
My only question is, why are you still dealing with Barclays?
Time to put Barclays in your rear view mirror!
There's absolutely no need to put yourself through the mental anguish for a garbage lender, let alone a decent one.
Way too many out there, that would love to have those swipes!
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah like Gmood1 said, OP I would be closing my cards with them at this point. 

Barclays is known for this garbage unfortunately, time to move elsewhere. 

Sorry that it happened but there are better lenders out there. 

Message 29 of 33
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
Sorry to read this happening to you OP.
My only question is, why are you still dealing with Barclays?
Time to put Barclays in your rear view mirror!
There's absolutely no need to put yourself through the mental anguish for a garbage lender, let alone a decent one.
Way too many out there, that would love to have those swipes!

I've kept my Barclays cards, but they see limited use.  For instance, I pretty much only use my Priceline Visa on Priceline purchases.  I pay the $89 annual fee on their AA card so that I keep the Stage 5 boarding. (cheaper than upgrading the seats individually)

Barclays may CLD, but if the account is still open, it's still reporting "pays as agreed", and boosting the AAoA as the account gets older.  I rely on other issuers for higher limits.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.