cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber Visa - Will card get declined for large purchase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uber Visa - Will card get declined for large purchase?

I am planning to use my Uber card (credit limit currently at $2000) to pay for a dinner some time soon. The bill is expected to be around $1300 or so, and the restaurant is about 40 miles away from my address on file. While I've eaten out using the card before, the transactions were only in the sub $100 range and never something this big. How likely is it that my card would be declined when I try to pay the bill?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Uber Visa - Will card get declined for large purchase?

If youre nervous, you can always call CS and notify them of an upcoming large purchase

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

you know this is one of my greatest fears being declined and having to be embarrased lol

Message 3 of 19
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

That's one serious dinner.  Call them & ask.  If you let them know it's coming, it should be no problem.  I've done that with Chase when an unusually large expenditure is expected.

I can offer that it'd almost certainly be declined if I put such a charge on my Citi DC.  For me, Citi has routinely been a PITA in this regard.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 4 of 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

I can offer that it'd almost certainly be declined if I put such a charge on my Citi DC.  For me, Citi has routinely been a PITA in this regard.

To be fair I had an issue making a $500 dollar purchase on my Premier early on when I first got it and after talking to their fraud department I haven't had issues with any purchases since. Even traveling to another country and using the card there no problems.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I've sent a secured message to Barclays to see what they say. Will probably end up calling CS later on. Hopefully I can avoid the dreaded awkward situation at the restaurant lol.
Message 6 of 19
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Wow. You’re hungry! Lol you can call and let them know, but I assume it won’t be an issue. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks. I've sent a secured message to Barclays to see what they say. Will probably end up calling CS later on. Hopefully I can avoid the dreaded awkward situation at the restaurant lol.

This is one time where I would probably forgo the secure message and make the call.  An ounce of prevention, you know.  Smiley Wink

While we're on the subject, oddly enough Capital One is my go-to for situations like this... while I've received the occasional text after the fact they've never declined a charge, even when it's wildly out-of-character.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Message 8 of 19
JaseT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bring a backup card/funds just in case!

P.S. That's a lot of Big Macs!! Smiley LOL

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 9 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is one time where I would probably forgo the secure message and make the call.  An ounce of prevention, you know.  Smiley Wink

While we're on the subject, oddly enough Capital One is my go-to for situations like this... while I've received the occasional text after the fact they've never declined a charge, even when it's wildly out-of-character.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you please send me your card info?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.