Uber Visa cash back categories DP thread

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Uber Visa cash back categories DP thread

@arkane wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a tough time using the Uber card for anything other than restaurants/bars. My Cash+ handles fast food at 5% and I don't spend much at all on 'travel', then everything else is covered by my Limitless at worst (minus any SUB needs). Still, it's been a great card so far and Barclays has been awesome. 

You could charge your cell phone bill on it for free insurance on all lines. I did the math on getting 5% back with my USB Cash+ on a $320 monthly bill. I'd get $16 back every month instead of $3.20 (1% on Uber card), but it made all the sense in the world when my daughter broke her iPhone.

I basically calculated to charge my cell phone bill every month, plus some subscriptions to get the $50 back for $5k spend. The card is basically a 2% card up to $5k of non-category spend. 

I agree but will add the caveat that you need to have a qualifying digital subscription to benefit from this. The list is as follows:

- Apple Music
- Pandora
- Spotify

- Amazon Music

- Google Music

- Audible

- Sirius XM

- Netflix

- Hulu

- HBO NOW

- DirecTV NOW

- The membership fee for Amazon Prime and Shoprunner

So if you don't have any of the above, you're better off using a 2% card for all your non-category general spend. 

Yup. The great thing about the card is that it keeps track of your digital subscription spending so you don't have to. 

I should also mention that certain purchases on iTunes have qualified towards the $50 credit, even though they weren't real subscriptions. For instance, movies I got at $9.99 counted for some reason. It must be because they code the same as a real subscription, and they use the dollar amount for qualification. Because of this, I maxed out the $50 credit in a couple of months between Netflix and iTunes only. Once you hit $50, it stops tracking digital subscriptions.

Message 31 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a tough time using the Uber card for anything other than restaurants/bars. My Cash+ handles fast food at 5% and I don't spend much at all on 'travel', then everything else is covered by my Limitless at worst (minus any SUB needs). Still, it's been a great card so far and Barclays has been awesome. 

You could charge your cell phone bill on it for free insurance on all lines. I did the math on getting 5% back with my USB Cash+ on a $320 monthly bill. I'd get $16 back every month instead of $3.20 (1% on Uber card), but it made all the sense in the world when my daughter broke her iPhone.

I basically calculated to charge my cell phone bill every month, plus some subscriptions to get the $50 back for $5k spend. The card is basically a 2% card up to $5k of non-category spend. 

@I just went and took a look and did a quick comparison of my Verizon account because I didn't realize that I was paying $26 a month towards insurance on my and DW's phone. If I removed that and took the hit of paying with my Uber card @1% return compared to DW's Cash+ 5% return (but still paying the insurance), I save over $170 a year on just that one bill. I'll easily hit $5k on the card because I have to eat out for half of the year while working, which is split up between Uber (4% at restaurants/bars), Cash+ (5% at fast food), or BCP (6% at Safeway, which I try to hit often to keep the other two down, lol).

I guess now I just have to figure out how to cut the insurance off of my phones and change my payment method...

Message 32 of 46
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@I just went and took a look and did a quick comparison of my Verizon account because I didn't realize that I was paying $26 a month towards insurance on my and DW's phone. If I removed that and took the hit of paying with my Uber card @1% return compared to DW's Cash+ 5% return (but still paying the insurance), I save over $170 a year on just that one bill. I'll easily hit $5k on the card because I have to eat out for half of the year while working, which is split up between Uber (4% at restaurants/bars), Cash+ (5% at fast food), or BCP (6% at Safeway, which I try to hit often to keep the other two down, lol).

I guess now I just have to figure out how to cut the insurance off of my phones and change my payment method...

Glad to see you could save money by not paying extra for insurance. Just a couple of things to keep in mind that you probably read:

Coverage maxes out at $600 per claim and up to 2 claims a year with a $25 deductible per claim. 

Coverage doesn't start right away. There's a wait period from the time you make your first bill payment until coverage kicks in. The wording I found says, "The phone lines listed on your wireless account are automatically covered beginning the calendar month after your wireless telephone bill was charged to your Uber Visa Card." Some people say it's a 30-day wait period, but the way I understand it is, if I pay my bill the last day of the current month, my coverage would start the 1st of the following month. So just a day later. 

Basically, if you want to play it 100% safe, remove the Verizon insurance when Uber's kicks in.

Message 33 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid for 3 items on eBay, via Paypal.

They all appeared as PAYPAL* [merchant name], but only one of them got 2%. Rather annoying because the largest item of $300 got coded as 1%. 

Message 34 of 46
darkpearl
Regular Contributor

4%

Rita's, Auntie Anne's at the mall, Fro Yo Store, Smoothie store (these are all on the border of "food")

2%

name.com, Mr. Delivery, Kohls.com, Amazon Prime Video, all Amazon purchases in the past month, B&H.com

1%

7-11 food purchases, some random ebay/paypal transactions, Godiva, movie concessions

Has anyone figured out how paypal is coding transactions that they're not all getting 2%? I mean I have the DoubleCash card I could switch over to that and get 2% every time if they are going to keep pulling this

Message 35 of 46
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

4% - 365Pay

This was surprising. In case anyone is wondering, this is a prepaid account for an unamanned micromarket/vending service usually found within certain organizations/company offices.

Message 36 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I was trying to apply for Uber visa card but was wondering if anyone knows if doordash (food delivery service like uber eats) qualifies for 4% cash back.

thank you

Message 37 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made a purchase of car mats from WeatherTech.com and thought I'd get 2% back using my Uber card but they only gave me 1%. I tried to fight them on it but they wouldnt budge because eventhough it was purchased online, the merchant codes doesn't fall under the 2% catergory. Shouldn't any and all purchases made online count for 2%? 

Message 38 of 46
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Back in May I went to a Seattle Mariners game and all the concessions gave 4%.

Message 39 of 46
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

4% - Food Trucks!

4% - Food vendors inside amusement parks*

4% -CBTL

2% - Uber in-app tips

*YMMV

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.