Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uh oh! Amex SPG pending UPDATE: Declined

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Uh oh! Amex SPG pending UPDATE: Declined

After my Amex PRG finally reported today (after 3 statements) and I saw the backdating to October 2011, I decided to apply for another card I've wanted, the SPG, for the Starpoints plus the Jan 2011 backdating. I got the pending 14-day message. I've checked the application status online (applied almost 2 hours ago) and it says under review, check back in 24 hours. Is that a no?

I guess I really should have paid the current balance on the PRG before applying.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Uh oh! Amex SPG pending

@CreditJim wrote:

After my Amex PRG finally reported today (after 3 statements) and I saw the backdating to October 2011, I decided to apply for another card I've wanted, the SPG, for the Starpoints plus the Jan 2011 backdating. I got the pending 14-day message. I've checked the application status online (applied almost 2 hours ago) and it says under review, check back in 24 hours. Is that a no?

I guess I really should have paid the current balance on the PRG before applying.

it just means it has to go under manual review...you can call and they could probably let you know then if you are like me, that doesnt like the waiting game...lol. good luck and let us know the outcome.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 22
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Would calling them just speed up the decision though? Rather than it being a recon?

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 3 of 22
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

Would calling them just speed up the decision though? Rather than it being a recon?

Yes, it would speed up the decision. It's not a recon since you haven't been declined. They will give you a decision right there on the phone. However, today's holiday so you have to wait until tomorrow. 

Message 4 of 22
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

I got this message on 2 cards a couple of days ago, and they were both approved in 24 hours, so definitely not a for sure no!

Message 5 of 22
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Good to hear. I will wait until after the holiday and call tomorrow if I don't hear anything.
Message 6 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

Just give it some time. My SPG app was pending for about a week as well and i was eventually approved without having to call. Sometimes they may just want to verify your ID as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 22
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Pending really means that with Amex, unlike other lenders.  I've had 1 charge and 3 revolvers go directly to pending and wound up getting them all.  Don't sweat it, even with a balance on PRG I'm sure you'll be fine.  

Message 8 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And some times it can very quick!   I applied for the (old) Blue Cash, got the 14 day message, and as I was reading it, an email came saying I had been approved.

Message 9 of 22
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.