Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized charge on WM CC.

tag
Croselx
Contributor

Unauthorized charge on WM CC.

I have an unauthorized charge for $1 on my WM Discover card, it reads: PAYPAL CA 4029357733 from 12/12/12 and is still pending as of today.

I do have a PayPal account, but I pay that directly through my bank account (they don't accept CCs as payment anyway). It sits on $0 balance for a few months now.

Is this Fraud and they are testing if the card works? I only used the card at walmart and for Playstation Network verification (probably was a bad idea..should of used a prepaid visa or something else). Anyone else with a similar issue? How should I proceed here? I wanted to ask for a CLI in a few days hoping they would approve me due to the holidays and would hate for this to compromise it.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Unauthorized charge on WM CC.

@Croselx wrote:

I have an unauthorized charge for $1 on my WM Discover card, it reads: PAYPAL CA 4029357733 from 12/12/12 and is still pending as of today.

I do have a PayPal account, but I pay that directly through my bank account (they don't accept CCs as payment anyway). It sits on $0 balance for a few months now.

Is this Fraud and they are testing if the card works? I only used the card at walmart and for Playstation Network verification (probably was a bad idea..should of used a prepaid visa or something else). Anyone else with a similar issue? How should I proceed here? I wanted to ask for a CLI in a few days hoping they would approve me due to the holidays and would hate for this to compromise it.

i would call right away and tell them. also are you sure you didnt add your card to you paypal account? because when you do paypal charged a small amount to your card for verification.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Relax. The potential unauthorized charge and the request for CLI are two different things. Play dumb when you initiate the CLI request and do it first. They won't ask you anything about the charge and if they do just brush it off and tell them you will look into it later. Once the CLI has been dealt with see if the pending charge posts - then call about that charge. You can only dispute a posted charge anyhow. 

It's not like the Playstation Network has ever been compromised ;-)

Message 3 of 7
Croselx
Contributor

I haven't used my CC on PayPal as I have another card linked as backup already. The charge hasn't been added to the account yet as it is pending, but it already reduced my available credit. I called and the CSR seemed confused so I will wait until it posts as a definite charge and make a claim.

I went ahead and requested an increase (called credit solutions # ending 0205) and the Rep instantly approved the increase from $1000 to $1500 (I asked $500 more based on a future purchase that I plan on doing). I feel good and bad because I have the feeling I could be approved for higher! xD

Does this reset my 4th statement CLI? I am on the second statement as of 05/12.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 4 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Croselx wrote:

In my opinion, this is a test to see if the card is valid and could lead to fraud. We had a lot of these $1 pending charges show up on our AmEx. Some of them said Apple, some had other popular names (like PayPal). I ignored them because these pending charges never became real charges....until the fraud all hit one day. We got a call from AmEx and someone tried to put through 2 online purchases that added up to about $4k. AmEx denied both charges because they were on our daughter's AU card and they could see that her card was usually swiped in the store. These were large online purchases, and that is what set off the red flags for AmEx. At that point AmEx closed my daughter's card and sent her a new one. Shortly thereafter, a pending charge hit on my card for a $2,400 Cannon camera from Amazon. It was me who notified AmEx that time, and AmEx then closed my card and sent out a new one. All of the charges were denied or reversed, so there was no financial loss, but it's a good thing I check my cc's online each morning.

I came here to this forum when that happened, and everyone here advised me to upgrade our computer security. It was obvious this information was being harvested online. We did that. We haven't had any problems since.

So...my opinion is that your little $1 pending charge won't turn into a real one, but you will continue to get them. Then, one day, the real fraud charges will hit suddenly.

I would notify WalMart now, and I would get a new card. You are being set up.

Message 5 of 7
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

It certainly sounds like a test charge for fruad to me, but i don't know.

Bottom line is, if you didn't make the charge then red flags should go off for you.  

Message 6 of 7
john398
Senior Contributor

Call your bank, a paypal merchant may have ran your card and is fixing to put a bigger charge in once a item has shipped

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.