cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelieveable......BOA didn't approve a secured card for me..669/667/687 scores ...Now where to go?

tag
jsjroo

Unbelieveable......BOA didn't approve a secured card for me..669/667/687 scores ...Now where to go?

Just got off the phone with BOA and they didn't approve a secured card @2500.  I had a cc with them in the past.  Had for 4.5 years, Had one 30day and no other issues.  Any suggestions? Trying to get in the 7's but loosing faith every day.  The main reason my scores are low is because of a few 30-90 lates 5 years ago and 2 Pay'd less than full balance from the same time.  Since then, no new cards, 2 successful auto loans(paid and done), and a perfect mortgage 1.5yr old.  5% or under util. $1700 avail credit.

Any suggestions on what I can do?  Have goodwilled to no avail as of yet.  Any other real good secured cards with short turn time like BOA?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Unbelieveable......BOA didn't approve a secured card for me..669/667/687 scores ...Now where to

Have you tried with your local credit union? They are the best bet to understand your needs and help you.
Message 2 of 9
jsjroo

Re: Unbelieveable......BOA didn't approve a secured card for me..669/667/687 scores ...Now where to

That was my next stop.  I only have the usual bank accounts but thought setting up a CU account and applying for a CC at the same time might be worth a try.  I couldn't believe my ears when BOA said I was SOL Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd recon them. They have been bouncing around a lot lately. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying until they get a court order.   (Not sure I paraphrased that correctly but you get the idea.)
Message 4 of 9
jsjroo

Called them near 10 times today.  Got told 3 times they had no answer.  The others said declined.  The last 2 calls I got managers who said my late payment history 5 years ago was the cause for the decline. No lates since then.  I've got 2 car loans paid off since then and a good size mortgage without issues but still they say no and they have no manual review.
Message 5 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't waste 1 second of my time mucking around with the jabroney's at BoA.

A CU is the way to go.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There have been many people have great success with Alliant Credit Union (www.alliant.org) getting unsecured credit.  With your scores and history you may not be preapproved with instant online offers, but you can speak with a loan officer to discuss the circumstances and goals.  With your derogs all being 4 plus years old, and having a current mortgage going on 2 years, you stand a good chance with Alliant I believe.

Here is a link to TIPS for Alliant

Here is a link to FICO Survey info for Alliant

Be sure to share your results on the survey page if you app with them.

Message 7 of 9
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Many on the boards may bash me for suggesting since they have such a negative reputation with some, but what about Capital One? I got approved and received a Cap One unsecured card with $3000 CL about a month and a half ago with scores averaging about 25 points lower than yours.

I agree with the credit unions, but Cap One has been good with no AF and a good starting CL with promise of CLI on their Steps program after 3 payments.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 9
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

I would look into Capital One and HSBC cards. Those are great rebuilder cards without the ridiculous fees. It also sounds like BoA blacklisted you that's why they won't approve you for credit anytime soon. I would build some credit history and apply in the future if you really want their card.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.