Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown credit to my CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unknown credit to my CC

I just checked my credit card and I saw a credit for $8.99. It read " Payment Promotion Credit- Atlanta, GA". Any idea what this is? Not like I am complaining, heck, I got 9 bucks out of it but where did it come from?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unknown credit to my CC

I got one as well. No clue where it came from or why.Makes me kinda nervous if you ask me. Like they are giving a credit for something they'll charge us for later.Hopefully it's nothing and a one time thing.
Message 2 of 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
...Hopefully it's ...a one time thing.

.are you kidding?  i'll take a credit every month if its offered! LOL

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly my thoughts. I dont even remember the last time I used the card but I feel like I was signed up for something I am not aware of and the worst is yet to come. I guess we will see.
Message 4 of 7
CodeMonkey
Contributor

Not to unduly alarm you, but if you're sure you have no idea what that credit is I would call your CC company ASAP and have them cancel that card and re-issue a new account number.

I have seen instances on the various credit card messageboards of mysterious small credits appearing on folks' statements, only to have their number hijacked and used fraudulently a month or two later.

I think the bad guys will often attempt to place small credits on harvested credit card numbers to ensure the account is valid and active before they start using it.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

becareful, i remember something similar but it was about checks being sent out from credit card companies to enroll you in a payment protection plan free for 30 days, and then they charge you, i would call to make sure that you are not enrolled in any such programs.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same credit on my Tribute card on 12/29/08. I called and the CSR said that the credit went out to anyone with a balance over $10.00 and is connected to a promotion that CCC will be running next month (watch your Jan. stmt). I'm not feeling good about this, it sounds like something that they're going to take back if you don't agree to join something. I'm actually going to pay off this account and close it next month since it has served it's purpose (rebuilding) and I have graduated to better cards (Cap 1 and Chase).
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.