Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unprofitable Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unprofitable Rewards

@Turbobuick wrote:

"Unprofitable Rewards" is by definition an oxymoron. All rewards are profitable to the recipient, but not to the bearer. Yes, the many that gain from the rewards depend on those that carry large balances and absorb fees. Hence, they balance out us takers and them givers. Smiley Wink   

Ok, if we're scrutinizing subject titles, then we probably exhausted the topic.

The subject was from the CCC's prospective, and what they might do in the future. Not sure 3 and 4% is sustainable w/o an annual fee. Even though interest paying cardholders are a big part of funding rewards, CCC may try to squeeze more profit from transactors. 

My latest post was illustrating that CO is paying attention to transactors who are only using the card for the highest % on rewards. And my original post mentioned that I use my cards for 1% transactions , even though I could use my DC card instead.

Message 41 of 45
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Personally if an issuer is having problems with their product I consider it not a problem of mine. The terms offered already are completely one sided. They can pull the whole credit line if they feel uncomfortable. In the end I say that the issuer gave us a sandbox to play in and if we want to play with the sand that has platinum mixed in instead of plain sand that is our right as long as it is in the sandbox. It is fair game to maximise the rewards in ones own favor. If the issuer has a problem they can rightfully redesign the product any way they want. Most issuers are also happy as long as they make money after everyone is accounted for and their reported earnings show that. Just because you cause a little dip in profits does not mean that other people are not causing the issuer to swim in USD.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 42 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zerofire wrote:

Personally if an issuer is having problems with their product I consider it not a problem of mine. The terms offered already are completely one sided. They can pull the whole credit line if they feel uncomfortable. In the end I say that the issuer gave us a sandbox to play in and if we want to play with the sand that has platinum mixed in instead of plain sand that is our right as long as it is in the sandbox. It is fair game to maximise the rewards in ones own favor. If the issuer has a problem they can rightfully redesign the product any way they want. Most issuers are also happy as long as they make money after everyone is accounted for and their reported earnings show that. Just because you cause a little dip in profits does not mean that other people are not causing the issuer to swim in USD.

Agreed. It's very competitive in the rewards cards arena, but I'm thinking in general we are in an "introductory period " where CCC's are trying to get market share and then scale down the rewards. I could be wrong.

Message 43 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@zerofire wrote:

Agreed. It's very competitive in the rewards cards arena, but I'm thinking in general we are in an "introductory period " where CCC's are trying to get market share and then scale down the rewards. I could be wrong.

Perhaps, but then Tragedy of the Commons stuff applies.    If you think generous rewards are threatened in the (near or otherwise) future, take advantage now, because other people certainly will.    So don't do 1% spending to stave off the inenvitable. 

There have been a few great cards (uncapped Cash+, uncapped BCP, 5xTYP) that late adopters missed because the cards became nerfed for issuer profitibility.   In this space, jump on good stuff, especially those "too good to be true", because soon it won't be.

Message 44 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@zerofire wrote:

Perhaps, but then Tragedy of the Commons stuff applies.    If you think generous rewards are threatened in the (near or otherwise) future, take advantage now, because other people certainly will.    So don't do 1% spending to stave off the inenvitable. 

There have been a few great cards (uncapped Cash+, uncapped BCP, 5xTYP) that late adopters missed because the cards became nerfed for issuer profitibility.   In this space, jump on good stuff, especially those "too good to be true", because soon it won't be.

Like I said, I could be wrong. But I do take advantage of rewards and offers/deals etc in a big way. I'm up to $1,261 in total so far this year. 

Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.