Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual poor AMEX customer service

tag
DaveinSC
Contributor

Unusual poor AMEX customer service

I attempted to order an AMEX re-loadable prepaid card (for my brother with poor credit) from their website, and was unable to do so..I get a persistent error message when I attempt to order on the website.  So, I called the pre-paid card customer service number for AMEX, and was told (by a young woman of Eastern Indian extraction) that my browser was probably out-of-date. I am running Explorer 10, and was told that Firefox(which I have) isn't compatible, only Google Chrome (which I don't).

Beginning to grow frustrated, I called the AMEX customer service number on the back of my ZYNC card.  Before I could open my mouth to describe the error and how I was attempting to correct it, the Indian (extraction) gentleman with whom I was connected this time launched into his "...go to the website and order the card from there" spiel. He didn't know what to do when I told him I COULDN'T ORDER THE CARD ONLINE AND WAS HOPING TO DO IT OVER THE PHONE.  Sighing, I thanked him for his time, and will find another variety of reloadable pre-paid card for my erstwhile brother.  I was expecting more from AMEX.

I thought their customer service offices were US based, and I thought that their agents would be better trained. I'd LIKE to buy their product, but I can't do so either over their website or customer SERVICE number.

...sigh....     Smiley Frustrated

EQ: 850 (01/2018)
TU: 830 (1/2018)
EXP: 825 (06/2018)
USAA Sig. VISA (7.25%) - AMEX Zync (NPSL)- AMEX Everyday (14.99%)- NFCU VISA Signature (10.65%) - Simmons First National Bank VISA (8.25%) - Citi Thank You Rewards Mastercard (12.65%)-USAA "Limitless" Cashback Rewards VISA Signature (14.45%)-AMEX Cash Magnet (13.25%)
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Re: Unusual poor AMEX customer service

Yeah I feel as if it's hit or miss on if you get a US based rep or not. More likely to get an outsourced rep calling after the "9-5" hours. If you contact their twitter customer service team, they are 100% US based, and they give you excellent one on one help. I definitely reccomend trying them! Their twitter is @AskAmex

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 2 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Amex Bluebird can be picked up at Wal Mart...

Some of the lesser products such as the pre-paid card have outsourced representatives.

The one that does not is my NFCU Visa Buxx that I got for DD last month. 

I have called CSRs twice, and I actually talk to NFCU reps who are knowledgeable and helpful.  They don't outsource even though this little pre-paid debit card is not a high priority item.  PLUS the Visa Buxx from NFCU has no fees other than a $5 card replacement fee.

You must be a NFCU credit card holder to load the Visa Buxx.  

The Visa Buxx cardholder, and the parent both have a login so that they can keep an eye on the balance.

So far, we are in love with the NFCU Visa Buxx

Visa Buxx.jpg

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 15
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I have never gotten a U.S. based rep when calling Amex.

Message 4 of 15
rob022574
Valued Member

I need to find a way into the great NFCU!!!.. :-(

I am too old to join the Armed Forces and my kids are too young to join lol.

Message 5 of 15
blondy250
Established Contributor

@bluedog1 wrote:

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I have never gotten a U.S. based rep when calling Amex.

I guess its a YMMV thing, but I've got nothing BUT U.S. based rep when calling Amex and they've been fantastic with me.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 6 of 15
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:

@bluedog1 wrote:

I guess its a YMMV thing, but I've got nothing BUT U.S. based rep when calling Amex and they've been fantastic with me.

I haven't either, but I always call the number on the back of my platinum card.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 15
blondy250
Established Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

@bluedog1 wrote:

I haven't either, but I always call the number on the back of my platinum card.

I do as well, for the annual fee I pay I expect, and have recieved excellent CS.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 8 of 15

I too have had a recent bad experience. I was asking if they recevied a document, i was transfered to another department and was told they couldnt look up under my card (I am AU on hubs card) and that I needed his card to talk to them. The rep I talked to insisted that I get the card and without it. I simply requested a supervisor and the person was able to verify all my info.

Next time IMO just ask for a supervisor and maybe you can have someone more knowledgeable.

USAA EX 640 TU 667 EQ 667
Message 9 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@rob022574 wrote:

I need to find a way into the great NFCU!!!.. :-(

I am too old to join the Armed Forces and my kids are too young to join lol.

Hehe, maybe santa needs to bring them recruiter brochures for their stocking Smiley Surprised

haha, just kidding.  The decision to join the military is a personal one. It helps to have family support though.

If you have aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, parents, neices, nephews etc. in the military... you can get in. In the case of a nephew or neice, their parent who is your sibling might have to join. In the case of an aunt or uncle, your parent that is their sibling may have to join... but its not required
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.