cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming $3500 bill and my options... maybe a 0% APR offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upcoming $3500 bill and my options... maybe a 0% APR offer?

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Do either your Travel Rewards or Cash Rewards cards have balance transfer offers?  My BoA cards have perpetual long-term 0% or 1.99% APR offers.  You did self-imposed CLDs, it wasn't AA.  You could likely easily make either of those limits much larger just by clicking a few buttons.  There would be a cost of doing a balance transfer deposit to checking of course, so make sure that would be an option you would want to pursue as it would be $150 on $5,000.

I hate to push you out of the garden, but yeah I'd probably go with the 0% introductory APR offer.  You'd earn some rewards on the purchase and some for the signup bonus.  It's too bad that the CSP doesn't have a 0% introductory rate; with its waived 1st year AF, 50k bonus (which worst case is $500 cash), and typically higher starting lines it would be a good way to have options.  If you knew that you could pay the $5k off in a few months, it may still be more worthwhile than a FU, though, but you'd have to do some math.

There are no 0% BT offers on either of my BoA cards.  The Travel Rewards has a fixed 9.9% APR (this was originally a MBNA card I got in 2005 with a fixed APR, which is still in effect now).  My HELOC has a lower rate still.

I'm not interested in a Sapphire anything... no cards with AFs for me; besides, there's no 0% on that one.  I don't travel enough to benefit from a travel rewards card.  Even the BoA one is worthless to me now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll sleep on it for a week or two before deciding.  With my highly constrained spending the past few months, I've been able to save some cash beyond my emergency (and 40k garden goal) savings account, which will at least partially offset these bills.  No Xmas gifts for me this year.

I might have to see what payment plans are available as well.

Message 11 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have the "emergency savings" this appears to count as one.  Why not use it and then focus on getting the savings built back up the next several months?  No additional debt.  Sometimes situations happen that you can't avoid and they do not give you rewards.

I would agree; try not to worry too much about the rewards. 1.5 or 2% of this is not going to make or break anything. Do what is best overall for your finances, saving, etc. I don't think a new card is really necessary in this situation honestly. You purposely CLD'd to limit spending, and getting a new card is just opening another avenue for spending. I don't say it to be harsh, just that I think not everything has to go on a credit card.

To keep it simple I'd just use the emergency fund, continue to limit spending and rebuild the fund. This way no new credit apps or new debt. Yes, you lose rewards on this transaction but life goes on.

Message 12 of 27
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous, have you considered looking into credit unions?

Message 13 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Do either your Travel Rewards or Cash Rewards cards have balance transfer offers?  My BoA cards have perpetual long-term 0% or 1.99% APR offers.  You did self-imposed CLDs, it wasn't AA.  You could likely easily make either of those limits much larger just by clicking a few buttons.  There would be a cost of doing a balance transfer deposit to checking of course, so make sure that would be an option you would want to pursue as it would be $150 on $5,000.

I hate to push you out of the garden, but yeah I'd probably go with the 0% introductory APR offer.  You'd earn some rewards on the purchase and some for the signup bonus.  It's too bad that the CSP doesn't have a 0% introductory rate; with its waived 1st year AF, 50k bonus (which worst case is $500 cash), and typically higher starting lines it would be a good way to have options.  If you knew that you could pay the $5k off in a few months, it may still be more worthwhile than a FU, though, but you'd have to do some math.

There are no 0% BT offers on either of my BoA cards.  The Travel Rewards has a fixed 9.9% APR (this was originally a MBNA card I got in 2005 with a fixed APR, which is still in effect now).  My HELOC has a lower rate still.

I'm not interested in a Sapphire anything... no cards with AFs for me; besides, there's no 0% on that one.  I don't travel enough to benefit from a travel rewards card.  Even the BoA one is worthless to me now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll sleep on it for a week or two before deciding.  With my highly constrained spending the past few months, I've been able to save some cash beyond my emergency (and 40k garden goal) savings account, which will at least partially offset these bills.  No Xmas gifts for me this year.

I might have to see what payment plans are available as well.

CSP was a suggestion based on worst-case value of the signup bonus ($500 cash instead of much more for travel) and the fact that you would need a decent starting line if a new card was the way you wanted to go. Just pretend that the C stands for Cash instead of Chase. If the $500 SUB with no annual fee minus interest paid on the purchase outweighs what you would get with the Freedom Unlimited with no interest you’re still net positive and can PC it to FU when the AF comes up in year 2.

Sometimes a travel card isn’t just a travel card, and sometimes paying 17% interest is actually cheaper than 0%.

Message 14 of 27
Soelden
Established Member

If you decide to app for a card and are worried about an insufficient limit,  you could go for anything that is branded as a visa signature, as I believe those cards have a minimum credit limit of 5k.  Theres plenty out there some with 0% intro apr.  Cash wise, Flagship, Usaa, etc..

Scores 07/2020:
Message 15 of 27
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I’d do a combination. Don’t like the idea of completely emptying your emergency fund and liquid assets. Idea might be put te smaller one on home equity and pay it off in 2 or so payments taking funding from ec if necessary. a month or two interest is worth not emptying your checking and savings . As to the larger bill. I’d app for a card either with a big enough sub to be worth your while and possibly absorb the interest....And/or a long 0 offer. Worst case is you pull from emergency if your having issues but otherwise just keep up with the payments and throw more at it when you can.
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@Anonymous, have you considered looking into credit unions?

I'm a member of one, I have my checking and savings there.  I think they offer a low APR intro rate on their cards, but the rewards aren't that stellar.

IF I do app for a new card, I want one I can keep as an everyday card once it's fulfilled its initial purpose... so cashback > travel points.  Also, once the 0% runs out, I would CLD it like all my others, so CSP or CSR are out.  I'd probably choose a 0% intro APR card over CLIing an existing card, since then I can sock drawer it and won't be tempted to use it for anything else, and I'd get 0% (which I wouldn't get with a CLI).  I'd just have to take the HP.  If I don't get a $3500 or better limit, I can always split the bill across 2 cards.  Eventually I'd close my BoA Travel Rewards if I got a new card.

If I get another Chase card like the FU and the SL is insufficient, I can always move part of my Amazon card's limit over to it.

My 3 rules for gardening are:  (1) no apps, (2) no CLIs (SP or otherwise), and (3) no touching the savings.  So, the option I'll probably end up going with is maxing out my Travel Rewards and then making up the difference with cash from checking, savings or HELOC.

I have enough cash on hand to pay the property tax bill now.  I'm just waiting, in case the attorney bill arrives before January.  If I don't get it by the 21st, I'll pay the property tax bill then.  Then I'll see how I'll finagle the big one ($3500).

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call BOA and see if they have any zero percent offers on your cards already. Sometimes they don’t show up on the app. I’ve done this a few times.

Or.... apply for a new zero percent apr promotional card. I only see 3 in your sig. You have room for a few more lol. Discover is pretty generous with SLs so you can stay low on utilization plus they have 14-18 months zero apr.
Message 18 of 27
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Saw someone suggested my ditzy friend Miss Disco.... Im pretty sure with those scores you should be able to get something out of the gate... and least for me it was 0 apr for 15mo... on new purchases and supposedly even a BT if i did it shortly after opening... Also.. it can likely grow in a little over 3 mo.. but its pretty easy to CLD and you still can get them to CLI after a CLD (some folks have done that for mortgages) but that part is based on old information... 

the advantage is you may get a CL enough to handle both your issues... and discover is pretty good on long term 0% offers. not phasing them at all.. If you want to go that route.. id get it sooner not later.. its very likely youll get the autoCLI in 3mo with those scores if they dont give you a good starting limit... if you choose that route... Its also an easy card to make multiple payments on.. unlike some others as well.. 

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not interested in Discover or Amex.  Visa or MC only.  I know my attorney takes those, not sure about Disco/Amex.

At this point I'm probably 70/30... 70% chance I'll just stay in the garden and finagle up the cash/max out the Travel Rewards, and 30% that I'll app for a 0% intro APR card.

I looked at the BT offers on my Travel Rewards card.  I can get 9.9% if I BT to a card and 19.9% if I transfer to checking.  Uhh... no.  The Cash Rewards says transfers are not available online, I would have to call... but with a $500 limit what's the point anyway.  I've gotten better BT offers from Chase, but I'm still constrained by the limit.

A winning lottery ticket would solve all these problems right off the bat.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.