cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Amex Everyday vs BCP

tag
Raydonman

Upcoming Amex Everyday vs BCP

I previously had the intention of getting the Amex Everyday, but in another post I made, people were encouraging me to just app for the BCP now, since I just got approved for the Freedom today.

What I want to know, which is more worth it, membership rewards with the 50% benefit given by the upcoming Everyday Preferred, or the cash back from the BCP. Either would be my gas and grocery card, possibly my everyday.

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 681
Goal Score: 700

Current Total: 11.9k | Credit Limit: 32,795 | Util: 36.5%
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Upcoming Amex Everyday vs BCP

@Raydonman wrote:
I previously had the intention of getting the Amex Everyday, but in another post I made, people were encouraging me to just app for the BCP now, since I just got approved for the Freedom today.

What I want to know, which is more worth it, membership rewards with the 50% benefit given by the upcoming Everyday Preferred, or the cash back from the BCP. Either would be my gas and grocery card, possibly my everyday.

I perfer cash over points ( i know some will say points is the same as cash )...........just my 2 cents

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 17
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

If you can make use of the MR transfer partners, particularly for premium cabin flights, then you'll likely come out ahead with EDP. This is especially true for large spenders.

However if you're a light (less than 15k per year on the card) or moderate spender (less than 30k per year), don't fly in premium cabins, or can't make the 30 transactions per month, then you'll probably be better off with the BCP.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 17
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I faced this same question last week.  I decided to go ahead and app for the BCP.  I plan to use it for gas/groceries with minimial general spend but will definitely max out the 6K per yr on groceries, thus, warranting the AF.  Plus, the extra 1% back on gas made it a no brainer for me.

Good luck whatever you decide.  Smiley Happy

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 4 of 17
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

I faced this same question last week.  I decided to go ahead and app for the BCP.  I plan to use it for gas/groceries with minimial general spend but will definitely max out the 6K per yr on groceries, thus, warranting the AF.  Plus, the extra 1% back on gas made it a no brainer for me.

I love your MasterCard-heavy/Visa-less collection! Is your Quicksilver a World MC?

Message 5 of 17
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@Raydonman wrote:

I perfer cash over points ( i know some will say points is the same as cash )...........just my 2 cents

+1

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 6 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

If you can make use of the MR transfer partners, particularly for premium cabin flights, then you'll likely come out ahead with EDP. This is especially true for large spenders.

+1

Right, if you fly MR partners and plan the transfer points to FFs to redeem for flights, especially premium int'l cabin flights, the EDP is better.  If not, the BCP is better. Pretty cut and dry.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

I love your MasterCard-heavy/Visa-less collection! Is your Quicksilver a World MC?

You know, it's funny.  I just went on my first and last app spree and realized that I STILL don't have a dang Visa.  LOL

The QS is just a MC.  Both CapOne accounts are QS1's (same card, one with a personalized image, yes that's my dog), PC'ed from an Orchard Bank card and a Platinum card.  Both AF's perm waived.  Honestly, I love the rewards.  It's unreal how fast 1.5% cash back adds up on everything.  People bash CapOne and I'm guilty myself but a $200 trip to the grocery with $3 at home waiting for you to redeem it immediately is quite nice.  

Speaking of my MC heavy lineup, I guess I'll just have to run without a Visa for the next year.  Not sure I'm missing out on much.  I presume everywhere I travel takes a WMC and all stores in my area take pretty much everything.  My goal is to somehow get one of those CapOne cards converted to a Visa.  Not sure it'll happen.

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 8 of 17
L-TWT
Established Contributor

?

when using amex MR's to pay towards card purchases, is the conversion rate 1:1?

Message 9 of 17
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

You know, it's funny.  I just went on my first and last app spree and realized that I STILL don't have a dang Visa.  LOL

The QS is just a MC.  Both CapOne accounts are QS1's (same card, one with a personalized image, yes that's my dog), PC'ed from an Orchard Bank card and a Platinum card.  Both AF's perm waived.  Honestly, I love the rewards.  It's unreal how fast 1.5% cash back adds up on everything.  People bash CapOne and I'm guilty myself but a $200 trip to the grocery with $3 at home waiting for you to redeem it immediately is quite nice.  

Speaking of my MC heavy lineup, I guess I'll just have to run without a Visa for the next year.  Not sure I'm missing out on much.  I presume everywhere I travel takes a WMC and all stores in my area take pretty much everything.  My goal is to somehow get one of those CapOne cards converted to a Visa.  Not sure it'll happen.

Maybe not one of the CO MCs, but you might be able to PC the AAdvantage WMC to a Visa Signature

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.