Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Cap 1 CLI!

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Upcoming Cap 1 CLI!

I just completed the 5 months of credit steps; my 5th statement just cut. I was scheduled to have a $250 CLI cut on my 7th statement. On a whim, I just called the backdoor number available on one of the stickies above. I explained to the CSR that I just  completed the five months, I use the card heavily and PIF several times a month, and asked if there was any way possible that they could give me my CLI early. After reviewing my account, the CSR described my payment history as "phenomonal," and transferred me up the chain. The next CSR reviewed my account likewise, put me on hold, and came back and informed me that  they're giving me a $500 CLI on my next statement, bringing my CL up to $1000!!! Smiley Very Happy

This may still seem to be a small limit to a lot of folks, but for someone who's rebuilding it's a big deal. And to get an early CLI out of Cap 1 is something of an accomplishment!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wiilbur
Established Member

Re: Upcoming Cap 1 CLI!

Congrats!   All I ever got out of my relationship with Crap one was attitude , their foot planted on my backside and bills for fees and services.  Hmmmm, come to think of it, it was alot like being married to them.   But, I get along MUCH better  woth them now that I kicked them to the curb!

Starting Score: EQ623 TU 632 EX ??
Current Score: EQ 688 TU707 EX (fakko)703
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@wiilbur wrote:

Congrats!   All I ever got out of my relationship with Crap one was attitude , their foot planted on my backside and bills for fees and services.  Hmmmm, come to think of it, it was alot like being married to them.   But, I get along MUCH better  woth them now that I kicked them to the curb!

Ha! That's how I feel about First Premier!!!

I guess every relationship is different. I haven't paid them a cent of interest on this account, only a $39 AF. But, I get cash back rewards, and I've already made back more than the AF. So, I'm ahead on this one. For a rebuilder card, I think that it's been great for me.

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 10
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Next stop over $2K for you.  My Cap1 rebuilder started about the same as you and over about 7 months shot right up to $2250.  Feels great to rebuild, doesn't it?Smiley Happy

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

@ficofox wrote:

Congrats! Next stop over $2K for you.  My Cap1 rebuilder started about the same as you and over about 7 months shot right up to $2250.  Feels great to rebuild, doesn't it?Smiley Happy

My cap 1 is also at 2250. I opened it in March 2010 and got to 750 around july and auto cli to 2250 in december...

Anyway, I am not using it any at this point. Well, not entirely true, I spent 69 cents on it last week.

I am no longer willing to spend even a single cent on a non rewards card.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@ficofox wrote:

Absolutely! I feel like I'm making forward progress; scores going up, and now an impending CLI. As I mentioned in my Credit Gardening thread, I want to be able to give FP the boot by this fall. Getting a CLI certainly helps give me incentive to do so, perhaps sooner than later. I'm due to have old debt on closed cards paid off by this summer. I'm keeping FP around until then strictly for util purposes. After that, goodbye! But I like my Cap1 card enough to keep it even after I've replaced FP with something better. I know that some folks don't like them, but I think they've been pretty decent to us rebuilders. Certainly compared to FP.

So yes... $2K here I come! And maybe by the end of the year, I'll be able to get some type of prime card. It feels good to have goals, and even better to see oneself moving steadily towards them! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Wait, I'm dying to understand this because I desperatly want a Cap1 CLI... What is your payment history that it is "phenominal?"

And, I CANNOT find any info on this "Step" program they offer. I looked all over their site for it. If I call, would I be turned down for a CLI because I'm not in this program?

Message 7 of 10
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

Wait, I'm dying to understand this because I desperatly want a Cap1 CLI... What is your payment history that it is "phenominal?"

And, I CANNOT find any info on this "Step" program they offer. I looked all over their site for it. If I call, would I be turned down for a CLI because I'm not in this program?

I just posted a reply to your other thread! LOL!!!

I've been running about $1200+ dollars per statement through a card witha $500 CL. To accomplish this, I pay at least twice a week, sometimes more. My statement shows lots of charges, and lots of payments. I never allow myself to get near the full CL before I pay.

As for the Step program, you would have received it if you were enrolled in it. It states that if you: a) Pay your bill by the due date for x number of statements, and b) never exceed your CL, then you will be automatically granted a CLI.

I would call and speak with a CSR to see if you are enrolled. Even if you did not receive a letter, remember that things can -- and do! -- get lost in the mail.

And no, you do not NEED to be in the CS program to get a CLI. You can always ask. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Message 8 of 10
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

The CLI is a big deal. You take it and watch it like it was a newborn! CAP 1 gave me a 1750 "Steps" account less than 24 months ago and I just closed the account this past week as I have outgrown their account but they did all right by me and me by them. I had to pay them often just as you did and they told me that when I closed the account as they wanted to keep the business but they couldn't afford me. I was able to wait my turn with these entry accounts and turn them into a nice mid teens credit line with a major bank. Now I once again have a nice protfolio of accounts and will continue to weed out the ones I used to get me here. Congradulations.
Message 9 of 10
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Well, so far I dont think I'm doing good with Cap1.

I got it to help with Xmas. Got the card 10/10. I just put a big amount on there and paid it off chunk by chunk. Almost done.

In order to make them super happy and make it more likely to get a CLI, you're saying I need to put tons of stuff on there and make payments super often, right? Like, as soon as its posts?

I have to start getting them to like me to get that increase!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.