cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**Update**Delta Gold Pre-qual or Pre-selected?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

**Update**Delta Gold Pre-qual or Pre-selected?

Good afternoon everyone!

I just received this email from Delta:

Welcome to SkyMiles, named a Best Travel Rewards Program by U.S. News & World Report for 2018-2019. You’ve been selected to receive this special offer for the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card.

Earn 30,000 bonus miles after spending $1,000 or more in eligible purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.1

As a Card Member, you can earn up to 7 miles per dollar spent on Delta flights purchased directly with Delta on your Card—that's 2 miles with your Card and up to an additional 5 miles as a SkyMiles General Member.2 Plus, earn a $50 statement credit after making a Delta purchase with your new Card in the first 3 months. 3

And remember, your miles don't expire, so there’s no limit to how many you can earn.

Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.4+

Is this just marketing from Delta or is it legit?
I applied for this very card thru Credit Karma in Dec and was denied. Since then, my Ex Fico8 score has risen about 15pts(current in my sig).

Thank y’all!

P.S.
This came from Delta. It did not come from Amex.

**Update**
I just checked the Amex Prequal.

It says, I am pre-qualified for the Gold and Green cards. I definitely don’t want to pay a $250 AF so for me, the good card is out right now. Is this an indication that my chances of approval for another (different Amex) card are good?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Delta Gold Pre-qual or Pre-selected?

I would go to AMEX's site in their prequalified section and see if you get any hits. Might just me a mailer as selected doesn't usually mean pre approval.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s hard to say what they’ll do, and they seem to be very profile-specific. Some people with 650 get turned down. I was approved for this card and the Hilton Honors card an hour apart with a 627 EX back in November. And for what it’s worth, I had never received a prequal for any AmEx cards on their site. I saw another member try for the Delta Gold with EX right around mine with no prequal and get approved, so I said screw it and cold-apped and got it. An hour later I figured why not try for the AmEx Hilton also, since I always stay at Hampton Inn? Took another shot at it and was approved for it also.

Honestly your score is 20 points higher than mine was. Try the prequal site with the mindset that if they say you’re prequalified it’s said to be solid, and if they don’t, it doesn’t mean you won’t get it. Sometimes you just swing for the fence and see if good things happen...
Message 3 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

But Amex still issues this card correct? Id imagine Delta has no say in your approval ,that Amex does. most likely marketing and even though im not big on prequals, at least Amex gives more reliable ones.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe you are correct, Joe. Lol. I just wanted make clear that it was an email from Delta, not from Amex. Not sure if who the email is from makes a difference.

Also, I’m 6/12 and 8/24 as far as inquiries go. 6 new accounts in the past 4 months. Is Amex very sensitive to this? I’d love an Airline card since the Aviator card didn’t work out...

Great, now I’m itching. Dangit.

Forgot to mention, I’ve checked the prequals on the Amex site just this week. No offers at this time.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My own experience would suggest they’re not all that inquiry-sensitive, since I had Home Depot and Target for years but I opened 6 cards between the end of February 2018 and the time I apped for AmEx on November 15, 2018. I was 6/9 months.
Message 6 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As @AverageJoesCredit mentioned above, the "selected" offer is simply marketing OP.  Lots of these are outsourced from a third-party vendor (on behalf of AmEx/Delta/SkyMiles partnership) so it doesn't really matter who the email comes from.

You can peruse the AmEx site to determine if you are indeed pre-qualified for this product or just apply outright.

Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I would think they arent super inq sensitive but it is possible if they feel one is over obligated in other credit card debt they might choose not to spprove or give low sl. Thats just my dumbdown opinion on a SundaySmiley Wink. If you dont have any Amex, a hp is usually what it will take to find out and only you know if one is worth the chanceSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I will keep my rear end in the garden. Give it 6-12mo and then toss my hat in the ring.

I appreciate the feedback, fam!
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar Thank you!

I just checked the Amex Prequal.

It says, I am pre-qualified for the Gold and Green cards. I definitely don’t want to pay a $250 AF so for me, the gold card is out for right now. Is this an indication that my chances of approval for another (different Amex) card are good?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.