Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update about my credit cards

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Update about my credit cards

My sister has ZERO cards and despite my pleas that she should have at least one or two just to show a payment history and have a real credit score, she won't do it. I guess she feels like she will just rack up debt. I respect her decision; I guess it's better than racking up debt, but I wish she'd just open one. She does have a car payment, but that alone isn't enough for a decent score. She had a Capital One card before that was charged off (this was like 8 years ago, so I'm not sure it's even on her report anymore) and a Victoria's Secret card that she closed because she felt she couldn't control her spending there.

I think many people do fine with one or two cards. To be honest, a majority of us here have more than we need and we do it for rewards/certain categories/whatever, and that's fine too, but it doesn't mean the rest of the world has to have 5, 6, 7, or 20 cards to be succesful either. It's all preference. but I do think one should have at least 2 cards just to maintain a history.

Message 11 of 93
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats. You made the right choice.

+1

.....  "said the room full of enablers."

Smiley Tongue

Message 12 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had few members ask me regarding my credit cards. I posted last month that I closed 4 out of 5 accounts and kept Capital One only. That lasted only for a week or two and I thought why lose everything that I gained. I have reopened all of the accounts and after that added few new accounts. It was hard for me to keep them closed after I read other success stories on daily base. Wanted to make this thread to update everyone who is curious about my accounts.

Sooo... how many accounts do you have now.  Just curious LOLSmiley Tongue

I have 8 accounts lol.

Congrats... Not shabby at all.

Message 13 of 93
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

My sister has ZERO cards and despite my pleas that she should have at least one or two just to show a payment history and have a real credit score, she won't do it. I guess she feels like she will just rack up debt. I respect her decision; I guess it's better than racking up debt, but I wish she'd just open one. She does have a car payment, but that alone isn't enough for a decent score. She had a Capital One card before that was charged off (this was like 8 years ago, so I'm not sure it's even on her report anymore) and a Victoria's Secret card that she closed because she felt she couldn't control her spending there.

I think many people do fine with one or two cards. To be honest, a majority of us here have more than we need and we do it for rewards/certain categories/whatever, and that's fine too, but it doesn't mean the rest of the world has to have 5, 6, 7, or 20 cards to be succesful either. It's all preference. but I do think one should have at least 2 cards just to maintain a history.

Agreed.

My mom has had enough of being an AU on my sister's CC because it always seems like there's hardly any breathing room on the card at all. My mom has also suspected that she just splurges money on useless stuff she doesn't need. I also remember a few years ago she ran into some trouble with missing auto payments and having a collection placed on her report. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 93
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I guess if one really cannot control spending they are better off without having CC's, but it still begs the question of how someone like my sister will be able to get a mortgage (she wants to buy a house with her husband who also has no credit cards though I don't know his credit history as much) with literally no credit cards open and one car loan.

Message 15 of 93
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree. If one cannot control themselves with a credit card, good for them to recognize it and refrain. It's an illness/habit like drinking, smoking, or gambling. Some simply can't do "a little bit" of them. I think your sister's history has shown she is much better off with none, rather than a little.

I do agree establishing a good credit history is important for those that can earn it. That said, no or little history is better than poor history.

Message 16 of 93
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I guess if one really cannot control spending they are better off without having CC's, but it still begs the question of how someone like my sister will be able to get a mortgage (she wants to buy a house with her husband who also has no credit cards though I don't know his credit history as much) with literally no credit cards open and one car loan.

I think she might be better off with just one CC entirely. I have a feeling Discover would be great for her. Just tell her to treat her card like a debit card and all of that and if she really doesn't feel like using the card much, keep it active by buying a pack of gum every once a while or something. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 17 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

If she can't control her spending, how about getting a store card to a place she doesn't much? Or a gas card? Since it's only a gad card that they can't spend it on anywhere else?
Message 18 of 93
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I'm gonna try to talk to her into a card again, not that she will listen. I have suggested Discover, I will try again. It's a decent card to have if you're gonna have one card. No AF and pretty useful categories all year, and at least you get 1% on everything. Since she is currently getting no rewards anyway, that will seem like a lot.

Or maybe a store card (something OTHER than Victoria's Secret). Or a gas card. Just something to establish a history. If you want a mortgage, I feel like you basically have to have a credit card in good standing, but I could be wrong. I don't know if an auto loan is enough.

I understand the other poster's point though, if you can't handle it, you shouldn't do it at all. People do grow up and change though, so I kind of feel like if someone is more mature than they were 8 years ago, maybe they can handle a card now. Maybe not, who knows.

Message 19 of 93
NRB525
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm gonna try to talk to her into a card again, not that she will listen. I have suggested Discover, I will try again. It's a decent card to have if you're gonna have one card. No AF and pretty useful categories all year, and at least you get 1% on everything. Since she is currently getting no rewards anyway, that will seem like a lot.

Or maybe a store card (something OTHER than Victoria's Secret). Or a gas card. Just something to establish a history. If you want a mortgage, I feel like you basically have to have a credit card in good standing, but I could be wrong. I don't know if an auto loan is enough.

I understand the other poster's point though, if you can't handle it, you shouldn't do it at all. People do grow up and change though, so I kind of feel like if someone is more mature than they were 8 years ago, maybe they can handle a card now. Maybe not, who knows.

So, the problem with suggesting this: You are projecting your knowledge of how you control spending when there is a bonus catrgory, onto your sister who sounds like she does not need encouragement to spend when she has plastic. (I have to make the quarter maximum spend!)

She may have matured, but should go at her own pace with credit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.