Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating income with Credit Cards Questions

tag
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Re: Updating income with Credit Cards Questions

Recenly I updated my income my $30,000 when I inheretied a significant amount of dividend and interest paying investments from my father when he passed away. I did not have any request to prove income from any CC, including Citi. Citi acyually gave me a $2,000 CLI on my Costco visa.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CARD Act (2009) imposed the requirement that financial institutions consider a borrower's "ability to pay" when evaluating a credit application and deciding on credit limits. That "ability to pay" is determined by your reported income and its the reason why lenders will periodically ask you to update your income. You would be doing yourself a disservice by deliberately understating your income.

Not if you don’t want to fork over tax documents and you’re dealing with a lender known to request them, like Amex and Citi. A huge increase in income reported is highly likely to trigger a review and if you don’t send off the tax paperwork, you can lose the lines you already have. 

Honestly I've never heard of anyone getting a financial review because they declined to provide the 4506-T form requested during a CLI.

I'd be interested in seeing datapoints that support that claim.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering the fact that I filed ch7 last year, and I don't think that any of the majors (AMEX, CITI, etc) are going even look at me for a good long time (if ever), I don't think I will be worrying about them now.
I just assumed that a huge increase in income (such as mine) may raise some flags if I update it. I am NOT immediately going to ask for any cli though... I really don't want to be on anyone's radar.
I am going to wait a few months to ask for increases just to be on the safe side.
Message 23 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If that's the plan for the time being that's will be fine. I don't expect any issues simply updating your income.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.