Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade: AMEX Green to PRG with Welcome Bonus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade: AMEX Green to PRG with Welcome Bonus

A few years ago I applied for the AMEX Green card and got the 25,000 MR points for $2,000 spend in 3 months. Since getting a welcome bonus for upgrades is not very common, I have been waiting on a welcome bonus to upgrade my Green card to the PRG. AMEX kept sending me offers to upgrade, but with no welcome bonus so I kept declining. Finally I received the offer below of 40,000 MR points for $2,000 spend in 3 months which I am pretty happy with since the average offer right now for a NEW PRG card is 50,000 MR points and I really didn't want to have two charge cards.

All scores are in the mid to low 700s

1 HP in the last 3 months

No baddies

Welcome Offer.png

16 REPLIES 16
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

Re: Upgrade: AMEX Green to PRG with Welcome Bonus

Congrats

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 2 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats on the upgrade!

Message 3 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on upgrading with offerSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all!! It was nearly a stand-off between AMEX and I in which I almost gave in and just upgraded with no offer. However, a good data point is that the AMEX CSP said they usually get new welcome offers and upgrades every quarter so that is something to keep in mind when playing the waiting game. Patience for the win!

Message 5 of 17
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Patience for the win indeed! Congrats 🎉

Message 6 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats! What was your usage pattern with the Green?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

I had medium usage for a while, however never saw any welcome offers. Finally I logged into the AMEX chat and asked them if they had any offers for my account specifically for upgrading my Green to the PRG WITH a welcome bonus. They said no but I could upgrade without one. Ha! I told them no that I would wait for a welcome bonus and the CSP said they would put notes on my account for the marketing team. For two months I did not use the card AT ALL and that's when this offer showed up.

I guess they got the hint that they would not receive any swipes from me until I got what I wanted Smiley Very Happy

wrote:

Congrats! What was your usage pattern with the Green?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your upgrade and thanks for sharing the info! I also have the green card and wanted to get all of the info that I could about how to deal with it. How was the annual fee handled with the upgrade?

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well played. Enjoy the fruits of your labor and resilience! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.